Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

From a scientific point of view question?

Started by Midnight Sun, 04/08/2012 08:29PM
Posted 04/08/2012 08:29PM Opening Post
By no means am I asking this question as a joke or am I trying to make light of Today's holiday Easter Sunday, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I read after Jesus met again with His following, he then, "rose up into the clouds" my question as an astronomer is: Where did he go? I am sure there will be some explanation that will help me understand this event. JM

Posted 04/08/2012 09:45PM | Edited 04/08/2012 09:50PM #1
A. Alien Spacecraft - this was all covered by "In Search Of" back in 1978 . . . wink
B. It is generally accepted that Gods can fly, levitate, teleport, etc. as needed to perform their duties.
C. If physics can posit wormholes, twists in space and time, parallel universes, additional dimensions, and dark matter, beings we perceive as deities may be able to use these phenomena.

Theologically, the Fourth Quarter Christian Church of Gainesville is focused on more practical and important questions--like "Why is God punishing the Gators?" and "When does Tebow become King of America?" However, ultimately, these "how" questions would all be filed under "Mysteries of Faith" by more serious Christian denominations.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 04/09/2012 08:03AM #2
John Meiners said:

By no means am I asking this question as a joke or am I trying to make light of Today's holiday Easter Sunday, celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I read after Jesus met again with His following, he then, "rose up into the clouds" my question as an astronomer is: Where did he go? I am sure there will be some explanation that will help me understand this event. JM

How can you explain the miraculous? In any event, Jesus went directly to heaven to be with God as it is recorded in the bible. That answers your question about the where? I suspect what you really want to know is the how. For your answer, you will have to answer my question above. I will say this, the dramatic nature of his departure I am sure was sone for those who where there to witness it, not because it was required by God or Jesus to be done this way.

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 04/09/2012 11:19AM #3
John Meiners said:

Hi John,
There many possibilities, however, being that you question here is scientific I'll focus on that first. Being levitated, we know not how, suffice to say physical transportation is indicated. Very impressive if you want to add drama to a story. There are accounts of Jesus being buried, but the Bible has him levitated into the clouds, as if Heaven is physically located there. I don't think the Bible is factual at all, so I'll stick to the science of it. Physical transport would support all indications that he's just a man. Amazing abilities, or perhaps access to amazing technology, but no less physical.

Because science is a method of observation, documentation and repeatability of results, we have no repeatability of results to support or reject this case. As to where... someplace else. Heaven is as good an explanation as any under the circumstances.

Without getting into too fine a detail, this is one of the many Biblical fables which lends itself more to fabrication meant to impress, rather than the more likely story of died of infection and burried where he wouldn't be disturbed. Again, when the Bible was compliled, a lot was left out in the editorial proccess. If we could travel back in time, this is one of the times and places I'd like to see. Well I am from Missouri.

Getting back to Theology... A truely Infinite being (without limits) would have no need to impress us, certainly not so few people if the message were so important. If we were able to levitate into the clouds, where would you go?

Hmmmmm...
Steve
8)
Posted 04/09/2012 02:29PM | Edited 04/09/2012 02:29PM #4
John Meiners said:

Hi John, I'll take a shot at responding to your questions, although like Doug, I won't be able to tell you much.

First, as you correctly state, Jesus went to Heaven, to be at "the right hand of the Majesty on High," "into Heaven itself, to appear in the presence of God for us..." as the writer of Hebrews states. It appears that you want to know the location of Heaven. There we - or I - can help you very little - but maybe a bit more than nothing, based on passages from both Old and New Testaments.

First, it appears that the direction to Heaven is "up." You see this beginning at "Jacob's ladder" in Genesis and on through all the various places where either angels or God (appearing as The Angel of the LORD) comes to us, or where Elijah (II Kings) goes to be with God. Now the next thing is up where. There it gets harder. But some New Testament passages are of interest here. Beginning with the visitation of the Holy Spirit at the baptism of Jesus and ending with his victorous appearance in Revelations, 19, and several passages in between, you'll read the phrase or clause "the heavens opened" or "Heaven opened." To me this suggest that whereever Heaven is, it's outside the confines of this universe and that the opening of the heavens makes a path of sorts between the "abode" of God and us. Jesus also tells us (John 18:36) that His Kingdom was not of this world.

Finally, as to why Jesus left the way He did, that question is answered within minutes by two men - angels - who told the disciples - and us - that He will be coming back that way - in glory (Acts 1).

Best Regards,

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC, USA

"I hear you're mechanically inclined. Did you ever do anything with perpetual motion?"

"Yeah, I nearly had it a couple of times."