Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

good controversy!

Started by Midnight Sun, 04/21/2012 09:18PM
Posted 04/21/2012 09:18PM | Edited 04/22/2012 08:12AM Opening Post
I will let you gentleman start this dichotomy.... This is a spin off from my last post. The Creator (Father God) being the intelligence of the Universe, designer of all creatures, including you...

Here it is: MOTHER NATURE vs. FATHER GOD. I will put in my $.02 after each reply. "Put your thinking caps on!" (as my anthropology teacher used to say)

The reason I am posing this duality conflict on the "Religion" Forum is because of the resent resurgence of tornado activity in the mid-west has given rise to this juxtaposition (abstract concept) of these titles. Lets take first "Mother Nature" the often coined term for disasters such as Tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.

Watching CNN last week I listened to woman being interviewed after the Kansas Storm completely destroyed her home. "Thank God, my life was saved, although my neighbors were not so fortunate."

So I put forth to you, "Does not God the Father control all what goes on in the world?" Or is it a crap shoot?" JHM IV

Posted 04/22/2012 12:44PM #1
If she thanks God that her life was saved, then she can also thank God that her home was destroyed. Yet she apparently thinks that the tragedy that beset her neighbors was "fortune".

All wrapped up in a neat, calming psychological package of self protection, we hear these same statements thousands of times per year from victims of accidents, weather, diseases, a bad economy, and war; winners of sports contests, political contests, and the lottery. God lifted me (but gets no blame for my related losses), while others suffered bad luck.

She might just as well say "God struck down my neighbors with this storm, but fortunately I survived." But that would imply some enmity towards the deceased, and that is not nice and leaves us feeling guilty.

Or she could say "I built my house out of brick while he built his house out of straw," But that would be gloating.

Or she could say "God took my house and all my posessions." But that would sound spiteful.

So people say the thing that best protects them emotionally. Because that's what people prioritize, regardless of any deity.

An atheist would speak in a similar manner as the woman, but without invoking God. He has the same psychological needs.

I always wince when I hear a victor or survivor invoke God. "I just wanna thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for giving me the strength to win the NCAA championship." While meant to show humility, it is ultimately egotistical. God chose ME to win the championship, not the other guy.

Of course, as they say, "God works in mysterious ways". That covers everything, and I submit that it would be a much more humble expression to use for our sports champion. Or our storm victim.

As for myself, if I was in her place, I'd say something like "We knew the risks of living in Tornado Alley, but we love our family and friends here, and my job is solid, the fishing is good, so we stay. Every part of the country has it's natural disasters, whether it be earthquakes, fires, hurricanes, floods, snowstorms; you have to choose your medicine along with life's priorities. We'll do whatever we can to help our neighbors."

The hard disaster question for people, though, is when you have only enough food and water for your children for one more day, with relief yet many days away. Your neighbors have none. They did not prepare for a disaster, leaving that in the hands of God as it were. They come knocking, crazed with thirst. Do you sacrifice your own children for your neighbor's?
Posted 04/23/2012 09:14AM #2
John Meiners said:

I will let you gentleman start this dichotomy.... This is a spin off from my last post. The Creator (Father God) being the intelligence of the Universe, designer of all creatures, including you...

Here it is: MOTHER NATURE vs. FATHER GOD. I will put in my $.02 after each reply. "Put your thinking caps on!" (as my anthropology teacher used to say)

The reason I am posing this duality conflict on the "Religion" Forum is because of the resent resurgence of tornado activity in the mid-west has given rise to this juxtaposition (abstract concept) of these titles. Lets take first "Mother Nature" the often coined term for disasters such as Tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.

Watching CNN last week I listened to woman being interviewed after the Kansas Storm completely destroyed her home. "Thank God, my life was saved, although my neighbors were not so fortunate."

So I put forth to you, "Does not God the Father control all what goes on in the world?" Or is it a crap shoot?" JHM IV

Answer: Yes, God is in control of all that goes on in the world.

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "