STS-114

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

If humans became omnipotent...

Started by wpaolini, 08/21/2010 03:25PM
Posted 08/21/2010 03:25PM | Edited 08/21/2010 03:26PM Opening Post
Took a road trip to Chicago (12 hrs) last week. On the return drive my son was asked do I think that if a human attained power over creation, basically omnipotent, how I thought they would be. So the question was if I thought they would become like God is portrayed as loving and caring and their interest was in helping humans, or not? He was reading a graphic novel called the Watchmen and in it a person attains omnipotence basically and can control all time/matter/space.

So how would you have answered (this was after a discussion on scientology of all things)?
Posted 08/21/2010 07:09PM #1
William…. First of all I would have as I’m sure you did commend him on asking you your opinion on a tough question. Many young men do not bother to ask fathers or mothers for their opinions anymore.

If it were my son that posed such a query I would have said….

God’s Word assures us that He is Omnipotent, one of his titles being “God Almighty.” He is also the Omniscient One. Not only does he know the end from the beginning, the future being an open book to him, but in him also resides all knowledge and wisdom, as seen by his wonderful works of creation. He is perfectly trustworthy, a God of righteousness and faithfulness. It is impossible for him to lie. Above all, since unselfish love is his predominant quality, it is fittingly said: “God is love.”

Being almighty—omnipotent—God used his power to overcome any obstacle that could block fulfillment of his promise to the first humans….Adam and Eve. They had the opportunity to live forever on a beautiful paradisiacal earth. But, as we know they rebelled.

As already mentioned…it is impossible for God to lie. He overcame the badness of Adam through the sacrifice of Christ Jesus therefore opening the way for everlasting life on earth again. That is a prophecy yet to be filled. The Bible contains other prophecies still to be fulfilled. Among them are those concerning an earth wiped clean of evil and left shining with righteousness. Also, before the foregoing prophecies have their complete fulfillment, God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth.

To receive those blessings, we need to show that we appreciate the gift of life through the ransom by our Lord Jesus Christ. Having respect for life includes having the right view of fellow humans. If we want everlasting life, we need to root out of our heart any hatred for our fellowman, because hatred is the root cause of most violence. It is vital that we learn to love one another.

When the above comes true….what your son was asking about will come true….. people of the earth will become like God...not only caring in their interests towards one another but love will prevail earth wide as never seen before……..
Posted 08/22/2010 09:10PM | Edited 08/22/2010 09:12PM #2
If humans become omnipotent for longer than 4 hours, they should call a doctor. grin

I think humans would not be wise in using omnipotence and they would be very inconsistent. Then, they would become bored. Omnipotent humans might fight amongst themselves like the gods of ancient Greece.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 08/23/2010 08:41AM #3
William Paolini said:

Took a road trip to Chicago (12 hrs) last week. On the return drive my son was asked do I think that if a human attained power over creation, basically omnipotent, how I thought they would be. So the question was if I thought they would become like God is portrayed as loving and caring and their interest was in helping humans, or not? He was reading a graphic novel called the Watchmen and in it a person attains omnipotence basically and can control all time/matter/space.

So how would you have answered (this was after a discussion on scientology of all things)?

That would be a scary proposition. Look what man has done without omnipotence! Just imaging an omnipotent Adolf Hiter! shocked
Man is depraved and absolute power corrupts absolutely. So you can imagine corrupt man with omnipotence. Yikes! 8O

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 08/23/2010 02:10PM #4
William Paolini asked in the beginning:
So the question was if I thought they (humans) would become like God is portrayed as loving and caring and their interest was in helping humans, or not?
So God, as defined in the Christian context, is more than simply omnipotence, and is a fundamentally different entity from a human being, thinking differently, being differently, motivated differently.

Man was created in Gods image with His qualities of LOVE, JUSTICE, WISDOM and POWER. In the new world of Gods making which was his original intention, humans will love each other as they do themselves. This is the second commandment stated by Gods son Jesus. They will also display Godly justice and wisdom in dealing with each other. And they will have the power to do this by means of Gods Holy Spirit.

I hope this helps both you and your son….Roger
Posted 08/23/2010 03:29PM #5
William Paolini said:

I think the average human lacks the maturity to handle omnicience with any skill. However, there's a big difference between being God and being God-like.

If you attained such power, would God tap you on the shoulder and say; "Hi! Careful what you think, it could wipe out Burma."?

In my experience in life, and in reading this forum, people are pretty much clueless as to what "infinite" really is.
So if you wish up something that sounds like fun would you take the time necessary to think about the repercussions?

Without a proportionate increase in patience, love, understanding, and so on, such power would simply corrupt or disrupt to a greater extent than some great earthly power.

Steve
8)

Posted 08/25/2010 09:01PM | Edited 08/25/2010 09:01PM #6
To get into the original question, I would think most people at first would aim to use it to do good. But humans, being human, wouldn't most of us become eventually corrupted by such power? Corrupted absolutely, even? As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread it would take incredible overwhelming wisdom to keep such power from running amok. To have only the omnipotence, would probably ultimately have tragic results.