Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Is God the only constant?

Started by wpaolini, 09/21/2010 05:31PM
Posted 09/21/2010 05:31PM | Edited 09/21/2010 05:32PM Opening Post
A precept of scripture is the eternalness and constancy of God. Seeing the headline on AMart news (http://www.astromart.com/news/news.asp?news_id=1112) gave me a chuckle, and gives good reason why science and theology are really two completely different domains, the former being concerned with the how of things, and the latter being concerned with the why of things. Clearly the more we know makes us realize we know less - seems obvious as an infinite universe would imply infinite knowledge possibilities so we can never even scratch the surface of understanding.

So...as we dealve deeper into trying to discover more about what seems evident that constants may not be constant, will this breath more life into the frenzies by some groups on science vs religion? I hope not. How do you think mainstream religions will react?
Posted 09/21/2010 07:13PM #1
William Paolini said:

A precept of scripture is the eternalness and constancy of God. Seeing the headline on AMart news (http://www.astromart.com/news/news.asp?news_id=1112) gave me a chuckle, and gives good reason why science and theology are really two completely different domains, the former being concerned with the how of things, and the latter being concerned with the why of things. Clearly the more we know makes us realize we know less - seems obvious as an infinite universe would imply infinite knowledge possibilities so we can never even scratch the surface of understanding.

So...as we dealve deeper into trying to discover more about what seems evident that constants may not be constant, will this breath more life into the frenzies by some groups on science vs religion? I hope not. How do you think mainstream religions will react?

If you take the constantcy out of constants, you have nothing! IMO, it opens the doors for a lot of new ideas. Clearly the implications of these statments, "If the laws of physics turn out to be merely local by-laws", or "the discovery will force scientists to rethink their understanding of Nature's laws" are clearly staggering. Gravitation may behave one way in our corner of the universe and totally different elsewhere. Light may travel at one rate in the Milky Way galaxy but at a slower or faster rate elsewhere.

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "