Northern Cardinal

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Koran Burning

Started by EtherealCaptive, 10/13/2010 08:15AM
Posted 10/13/2010 08:15AM Opening Post
Koran burning has been in the news in the recent past and one thing that I noticed about the controversy is how Westerners have such a hard time understanding why Muslims get so upset about desecrating the Koran. Even a front page poll on this site had the vast majority of people responding that they should just "get over it."

So, whey do they get so upset? Well in Islam the Koran is the most sacred thing in their religion. It is as sacred to them as Jesus is to Christians. The Koran is more sacred than even Mohammed who was after all just a man. Muslims believe that the Koran is the inspired word of God delivered to Mohammed in Arabic and they went to great lengths through the ages to preserve it in its original form which included not allowing it to be translated to other languages. In fact translating it into different languages is a theological mine field in Islam. Many believe it can only be correctly read and interpreted in its original Arabic. Contrast this with the original manuscripts of the NT which were modified by well-meaning scribes and theologians over the early centuries of Christianity. Christians don't even have a common bible; catholics, protestants and also orthodox Christians all use a different Bible. Of course the Bible has been translated into literally hundreds of languages and into hundreds of different versions. If some group were to burn a Bible in protest most Christians would say, "Meh. There are hundreds more at the local book store." On the other hand, if an artist constructed a sculpture of Jesus being defecated on, most Christians would be uproariously angry (and this is exactly what happened in real life). So, if you look at desecrating the Koran as if Muslims were desecrating Jesus, then you might start to understand why they get so upset.
Posted 10/13/2010 10:23AM | Edited 10/13/2010 10:31AM #1
James Lacey said:

Koran burning has been in the news in the recent past and one thing that I noticed about the controversy is how Westerners have such a hard time understanding why Muslims get so upset about desecrating the Koran. Even a front page poll on this site had the vast majority of people responding that they should just "get over it."

So, whey do they get so upset? Well in Islam the Koran is the most sacred thing in their religion. It is as sacred to them as Jesus is to Christians. The Koran is more sacred than even Mohammed who was after all just a man. Muslims believe that the Koran is the inspired word of God delivered to Mohammed in Arabic and they went to great lengths through the ages to preserve it in its original form which included not allowing it to be translated to other languages. In fact translating it into different languages is a theological mine field in Islam. Many believe it can only be correctly read and interpreted in its original Arabic. Contrast this with the original manuscripts of the NT which were modified by well-meaning scribes and theologians over the early centuries of Christianity. Christians don't even have a common bible; catholics, protestants and also orthodox Christians all use a different Bible. Of course the Bible has been translated into literally hundreds of languages and into hundreds of different versions. If some group were to burn a Bible in protest most Christians would say, "Meh. There are hundreds more at the local book store." On the other hand, if an artist constructed a sculpture of Jesus being defecated on, most Christians would be uproariously angry (and this is exactly what happened in real life). So, if you look at desecrating the Koran as if Muslims were desecrating Jesus, then you might start to understand why they get so upset.

Christians acknowledge that the translated versions of the bible could have translation errors. However, great care is taken to make sure the meaning in the original manuscripts are not compromised during translation. The current English bible in well recongnized translations like the NASB, ESV, NKJV are very reliable as to their closeness to the original manuscripts. Identified errors and so-called conflicts have no impact on doctrine. Further, Christians also know that to get the clear meaning, one must go back to the original language manuscripts. That is what all credible seminary students are required to take Greek and Hebrew language course as a graduation requirement. The bible is only inerrent in its original language manuscripts and modern translations are very, very reliable. You are correct, burn a bible today, buy one tomorrow, just leave the originals alone!

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 11/06/2010 05:54PM | Edited 11/06/2010 06:08PM #2
Great. I also understand why rabid raccoons bite people. They have a form of encephalitus that destroys their brains and kills them within about 7 to 10 days. It's all very sad and I feel sorry for rabid raccoons.

That being said, I am always open to dialogue with the Muslim world.
Here goes:

America: When you chanted "Death to America" in your streets for a 30 year period, were you serious?
Islam: Yes.
America: O.K. Good Bye.

The problem with Koran burning is that it conflicts with the advice of Machiavelli. Never inflict a minor wound. Burning a Koran just inflames Muslim faithful. It's like poking a rattlesnake with a stick.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]