Venus Transit and Plane

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Lady Gaga’s album Born This Way banned in Lebanon

Started by wpaolini, 06/06/2011 12:21PM
Posted 06/06/2011 12:21PM Opening Post
So...should this have been banned?? If so, why, if not why? Should we expect anything else when something is not only against the grain but also offensive to the predominent portion of a culture? I mean we see it is the Islamic societies, we see it secularly with ideologies (remember Senator McCarthy inquisitions against Communists, etc). Seems to me that maybe the knee jerk reactions are many times because of the way something is said rather than what is said.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/lady-gaga-born-this-way-album-banned-by-lebanon-as-offensive-to-christianity-50844/
Posted 06/06/2011 12:51PM #1
It's Lebanon, who cares? If it gets banned in the US, then I'll care.

Andreas

DSOs observed:
NGCs 2005, ICs 103, Other 70, Palomar GCs 6, Abell PNs 12, Herschel 400: 316.
Equipment
Celestron CPC 1100, Lunt 60mm Ha Solar Scope
Posted 06/06/2011 07:56PM #2
William Paolini said:

So...should this have been banned?? If so, why, if not why? Should we expect anything else when something is not only against the grain but also offensive to the predominent portion of a culture? I mean we see it is the Islamic societies, we see it secularly with ideologies (remember Senator McCarthy inquisitions against Communists, etc). Seems to me that maybe the knee jerk reactions are many times because of the way something is said rather than what is said.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/lady-gaga-born-this-way-album-banned-by-lebanon-as-offensive-to-christianity-50844/

Hi All,
First, Lady Gaga is in the entertainment business, and says or sings whatever keeps her face in the news. Quite frankly she's nearly a carbon copy of Dale Bazzio, of Missing Persons (1980's). To all of which I can say, duh...

The fact that one country or another bans someone's musical message is pretty common outside the major western nations. There were attempts here to ban or otherwise control musical content. Frank Zappa used his fame and sharp wit to fight those attempts.

He asked; "Which nincompoop should be the judge of what free Americans listen to or read?"
Such is the minefield we enter when we suggest someone control us. My love for The United States is a love for what we aspire to be, not necessarily one aspect or another of popular culture.

To react to such silly things shows only a thin skin, and not much confidence in one's self. I still think "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin is the best! Oh, not religious? Well then, "Ave Maria". Yeah, funny how that Catholic thing still lurks.

;-)
Steve
8)

Posted 06/08/2011 08:29PM #3
Yes, it should be banned. It might give Al Queda the idea that their relationships with sheep are in some way natural. wink

Just kidding. Freedom of speech and self expression should not be infringed on in the Middle East. They should be able to listen to Gaga or read the bible or purue happiness in a full myriad of non-detonating ways.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]