My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Moralistic Therapeutic Deism....?

Started by wpaolini, 06/01/2011 01:54PM
Posted 06/01/2011 01:54PM | Edited 06/01/2011 02:05PM Opening Post
What's everyone's thoughts on this...

"Moralistic Therapeutic Deism," a belief system articulated by researchers Christian Smith and Melinda Denton.
-- A god exists who created and ordered the world and watches over it.
-- God wants people to be good, nice and fair to one another, as taught in most religions.
-- The goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
-- God gets involved when we have problems we need solved.
-- Good people go to heaven.

So God is in there, somewhere, along with love, grace, kindness, tears, empathy, consolation, compassion, self-acceptance. A non-threatening faith that perhaps is more akin to generalized faith or spirituality rather than religion?

Here's more depth on it: http://www.christianpost.com/news/moralistic-therapeutic-deism-the-new-american-religion-6266/pageall.html

Posted 06/02/2011 07:24AM #1
William Paolini said:

"Moralistic Therapeutic Deism," a belief system articulated by researchers Christian Smith and Melinda Denton.
[COLOR="Red"]One God exists who created and ordered the world and rules over it.[/COLOR]
-- God wants people to be good, nice and fair to one another, as taught in most religions.
[COLOR="Red"]God wants people to love and and other people.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]The goal in life is to glority God and enjoy Him forever and deny oneself and put others first.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]God is involved in all the affairs of man include raise rulers and bringing them down, raise nations and bringing them down[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Good people go to hell, people of faith in Christ go to heaven.[/COLOR]

So God is in there, somewhere, along with love, grace, kindness, tears, empathy, consolation, compassion, self-acceptance. A non-threatening faith that perhaps is more akin to generalized faith or spirituality rather than religion?

[COLOR="Red"]Sounds like a human centered kitchen sink set of hog-wash beliefs based on nothing credible.[/COLOR]

Here's more depth on it: http://www.christianpost.com/news/moralistic-therapeutic-deism-the-new-american-religion-6266/pageall.html

This trash flies in the face of Biblical Christianity and it is this kind of dangerous garbage that leads people astray.

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 06/02/2011 12:27PM #2
William Paolini said:

Not too far off from my own beliefs. TO me the goal in life is simpler; it's participation. Add to that "As best we can".

God doesn't get involved when we have problems, he's involved at all times. What we see as problems are challenges we need. (Not necessarily what we think we need and certainly not what other people think).

Good people have the satisfaction of being good people.

That's about it from me. Oh, if you like my latest revision of the Philisophical essay is now posted in Reviews under Articles, Philosophy.

Thanks,
Steve
8)
Posted 06/02/2011 01:32PM #3
"The goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself"

Bill,
I'm a Fundamentalist Christian so I'll answer according to my faith.
Contrast the above quote with Lev 11:22: "For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him" This is the goal of life.

"Good people go to heaven"

There are no good people according to orthodox christianity. To quote the Westminster Confession of Faith on our natural state after Adam's sin:

"By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and so became dead in sin, and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body. They being the root of mankind, the guilt of this sin was imputed, and the same death in sin and corrupted nature conveyed to all their posterity, descending from them by original generation. From this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions."

Romans 8:7-8. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

So there are no good people according to the orthodox historic Christian faith, only sinners and the redeemed among them. Redeemed by Christ alone through faith alone unto good works:
Ephesians 2:8-10 Put simply, good works result from salvation and glorify Christ, they do not save us. Kevin