California Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

New Moderation

Started by wpaolini, 05/04/2011 01:03PM
Posted 05/04/2011 01:03PM | Edited 05/04/2011 01:31PM Opening Post
I will be policing this forum. Not going to quote the TOS as everyone can read. If I perceive that you've violated the TOS, or the spirit of the TOS, then will delete your post with no warning. If you want to know why then PM me. If you plan to discuss any moderation action in this forum space those posts will be removed as well. You can discuss that via PM, or someplace else. If you want to complain, PM the appropriate AMart powers.

I'm not in here all the time, so will not be monitoring 24x7, but when I come in may review and take action as needed. Apologies in advance for the heavy hand, but too much of the past time here others have been heavy handed with their comments with no regard or respect. All things change, it's the way of things.

As a reminder, intolerance to deities, religions, or adherents to any religion is against TOS. So if you bad mouth (directly, indirectly, inuendo, etc.) a religion, its dieties, its practices, or any of that religion's followers past or present, it is discrimination. Note, bad mouthing and disagreeing are different things.

As a second reminder, this forum space is about religion and topics in religion. If you intend on taking an anti-religion or anti-deity position and want to argue that position, then you need to do that in the Non-Religion forum or the No Holds Barred forum, so any such post here will be removed since it is not in accordance with the split into the three forum spaces we have now.

If you want to have a respectful and safe interchange of ideas regarding religion, without fear of you, or your religion's followers, or your religion's beliefs/dogma being ridiculed or belittled, then that is what this space is for. If you want to ridicule/belittle, or argue a non-religion non-diety postion take it to the No Holds Barred forum as these posts will be removed here.

Special note - there are several people who have been permanently barred from the Religion forum. You know who you are as Herb has informed you. Under no circumstance can you post here. But good news, you always have the Non-Religion and No-Holds-Barred forums to post whatever you wanted to post here and everyone will be glad to join there that is interested.

Finally, mispelling will be welcombed and tolerated.
Posted 05/04/2011 02:09PM #1
William Paolini said:

...Finally, mispelling will be welcombed and tolerated.

Uh, I dunno if I can handel that.
Posted 05/04/2011 02:31PM #2
Congratulations - or condolences wink

I have a question concerning something you said here.

"As a reminder, intolerance to deities, religions, or adherents to any religion is against TOS. So if you bad mouth (directly, indirectly, inuendo, etc.) a religion, its dieties, its practices, or any of that religion's followers past or present, it is discrimination. Note, bad mouthing and disagreeing are different things."

If I decide to write a post in a thread that gets into a comparision of my religion Christianity and another religion, I can mostly write positively about Jesus Christ. IMHO that's the best way to write (talk) about Christianity. But if it gets to denying the god, a prophet, or some tenet of the other religion, is that allright as long as I don't get personal about it, does it fall into the category of "disagreeing"?

All the best in your new position,

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC, USA

"I hear you're mechanically inclined. Did you ever do anything with perpetual motion?"

"Yeah, I nearly had it a couple of times."
Posted 05/04/2011 02:41PM #3
William Paolini said:

I will be policing this forum. Not going to quote the TOS as everyone can read. If I perceive that you've violated the TOS, or the spirit of the TOS, then will delete your post with no warning. If you want to know why then PM me. If you plan to discuss any moderation action in this forum space those posts will be removed as well. You can discuss that via PM, or someplace else. If you want to complain, PM the appropriate AMart powers.

I'm not in here all the time, so will not be monitoring 24x7, but when I come in may review and take action as needed. Apologies in advance for the heavy hand, but too much of the past time here others have been heavy handed with their comments with no regard or respect. All things change, it's the way of things.

As a reminder, intolerance to deities, religions, or adherents to any religion is against TOS. So if you bad mouth (directly, indirectly, inuendo, etc.) a religion, its dieties, its practices, or any of that religion's followers past or present, it is discrimination. Note, bad mouthing and disagreeing are different things.

As a second reminder, this forum space is about religion and topics in religion. If you intend on taking an anti-religion or anti-deity position and want to argue that position, then you need to do that in the Non-Religion forum or the No Holds Barred forum, so any such post here will be removed since it is not in accordance with the split into the three forum spaces we have now.

If you want to have a respectful and safe interchange of ideas regarding religion, without fear of you, or your religion's followers, or your religion's beliefs/dogma being ridiculed or belittled, then that is what this space is for. If you want to ridicule/belittle, or argue a non-religion non-diety postion take it to the No Holds Barred forum as these posts will be removed here.

Special note - there are several people who have been permanently barred from the Religion forum. You know who you are as Herb has informed you. Under no circumstance can you post here. But good news, you always have the Non-Religion and No-Holds-Barred forums to post whatever you wanted to post here and everyone will be glad to join there that is interested.

So am I allowed to say Islam is a false religion because of such and such?
or, Islam is not a religion of peace because of such and such?

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 05/05/2011 11:53AM #4
How about bad-mouthing atheists and agnostics (or gnostics, for that matter)?
Posted 05/06/2011 10:38AM | Edited 05/06/2011 10:43AM #5
William Paolini said:

Hi William, Hi Everyone,
You've said you would not post the Terms of Service, but then you said if you perceive someone violates them, then you would delete the post with no warning. After that contact the PM. Yet here are numerous posts on just how this moderation will work.

I tried to look them up but got sent back to the Forum page. This occurred on an IBM and on a MAC. Could you post them, or make a link available please? I think it may be helpful. Knowing what's expected before any foot-in-mouth takes place would cut down on the housekeeping questions.

On the other hand, most of us saw them long ago, but just need a refresher. There are obviously many individuals posting here, and many silent readers. All with varying degrees of intuition when it comes to being polite.

I've been blunt before, so here's what I do. (Yes it's subjective.) Write whatever you like, but don't send it.

Stop, and read it to make sure it sends something useful or informative. Then read again to be sure it's not outright offensive. Replace blunt statements like "wrong" with simple questions, like "Would that indicate?"

Don't send it yet. Read it once more as if you were explaining your religious thoughts to your (pick an oposite religion) sister's kids while she's at the same table.

You know her thoughts are different, you know you won't get any dinner if you're out of line. You'd like to make some meaningful point to kids who are impressionable. Remember who might be reading this forum, not just the person you dissagree with.

OK, Skip the spell check then send it.

Just think about what you write. I meet Herb's definition of a Heathen, and haven't been kicked out yet.

Maybe he just rolls his eyes.
wink
Steve
8)