IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Pastor announces the burning of the Koran

Started by wpaolini, 09/08/2010 02:02PM
Posted 09/08/2010 02:02PM | Edited 09/08/2010 02:03PM Opening Post
A pastor of a small evangelical Christian church in Gainesville, Fla has announced that he will be holding a Koran burning event in three days on Sept 11.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0908/Why-the-planned-Koran-burning-causes-outrage-and-alarm

Question...

I often hear the argument that when radical Muslim groups do something harmful why don't all the larger more establish and peaceful Muslim groups rise up around the world to publicly and severely admonish them? So now the shoe is on the other foot. Here we have a small Christian group doing something quite radical and extremely harmful to the Muslim community. So where are all the large and well established Christian denominations rising up to publicly and severely admonish that congregation? All I see is a small news article on it and nothing else.

So there are three days left...what do the Christians here think they, their local churches, and their denominations as a whole should do? Quick...the clock is ticking...
Posted 09/08/2010 06:55PM #1
From what I have read most religous leaders have came out against the action. However, when you allow threats from terrorists to determine what you do or do not do, by default they have won.
Posted 09/09/2010 08:56AM #2
William Paolini said:

A pastor of a small evangelical Christian church in Gainesville, Fla has announced that he will be holding a Koran burning event in three days on Sept 11.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2010/0908/Why-the-planned-Koran-burning-causes-outrage-and-alarm

Question...

I often hear the argument that when radical Muslim groups do something harmful why don't all the larger more establish and peaceful Muslim groups rise up around the world to publicly and severely admonish them? So now the shoe is on the other foot. Here we have a small Christian group doing something quite radical and extremely harmful to the Muslim community. So where are all the large and well established Christian denominations rising up to publicly and severely admonish that congregation? All I see is a small news article on it and nothing else.

So there are three days left...what do the Christians here think they, their local churches, and their denominations as a whole should do? Quick...the clock is ticking...

Every independent church and denomiation should denounce this guy as a nut case and make it clear that he is not a Christian nor representative of Christianity. I really don't want see this happen since it is someone claiming to be Christian doing it. I would have no problem if it was the Lions Club or Jaycees since they have no religious connections, officially anyway.

That said, an event like this can be useful to remind people the stark reality that Islam is really a religion of hate and killing of those who refuse to be in submission to their god. If they react with violence and the Imam's do not renouce that action, it will be a clear reminder that Islam is no friend of America and Americans. In fact it is an enemy of the state since everywhere Islam is allowed to spread, conflict araises and they seek to impose their Shiria law. Even some EU countries are now regretting letting so many Islamic immigrents and are now trying (too late) figure out what to do about it. Americans need to be re-awakened to the threat Islam is since we have fallen back asleep in the 9 years since 9/11.

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 09/09/2010 02:34PM #3
IMO, little to nothing more than the condemnations that the Christian leaders have issued to date. It appears that it's this one Pastor Jones who has a congregation of 50. If it was going on in a Charlotte area church with 50 people, maybe our minister might want to spend a couple of minutes on it. Here, it should be left to the Gainesville churches to say anything more about it. I'm guessing that Pastor Jones is slurping up and feasting on all the attention he's getting. Why pile up the plate higher and deeper?

Best,

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC

Mark Costello
Matthews, NC, USA

"I hear you're mechanically inclined. Did you ever do anything with perpetual motion?"

"Yeah, I nearly had it a couple of times."
Posted 09/10/2010 07:44AM #4
First the good news, they're on hold in answer to a request by the FBI and DOD.

In my opinion the burning of books has historically been carried out by the morrons of the world.

I more modern times and a real concern for our government is the way terrorism functions. It's mostly a propoganda machine with violent methods. They would latch onto and exploit anything that might bring more of Islam into their twisted interpretation.

Burning the Koran would only serve to fuel thier fire, and serve no rational purpose here.

Steve
8)