California Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Pick and Choose Theology

Started by dmatulis, 04/08/2011 08:53AM
Posted 04/08/2011 08:53AM Opening Post
Jim, what are the hermeneutical principles you use as a guide for your pick and choose theological interpretations of the Bible? Please share...

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 04/08/2011 09:16AM #1
Doug Matulis said:

Jim, what are the hermeneutical principles you use as a guide for your pick and choose theological interpretations of the Bible? Please share...

Doug:

I'll reply simply to note that I don't "pick and choose". That is your conclusion based upon your own perspective that obviously differs from mine. That probably won't make sense to you, but hopefully it will make sense to everyone else who might be reading along.

Jim
Posted 04/18/2011 06:35AM #2
Doug Matulis said:

Hi Doug,
"Hermeneutical"? getting kind of techie there...

When any of us choose to quote a document, a study, statistics the Bible or other source, it is usually to lend support to whatever point we're trying to make. In other words if you don't believe me here's what Paul had to say... and so on. The reason is to lend support to a point made.

However, in doing so (here's my military past speaking) you unsell your own opinion and pass the buck. In scholastic circles it may mean you're well read, but says nothing of your own thought process. In religious circles that may be what you wanted, but then if the quote is more important that what you have to say, why not let people draw their own conclusions?

Deeeep thoughts...
Steve
8)

Posted 04/18/2011 07:05AM #3
Doug Matulis said:

Doug, why don't you explain why you pick and choose from Leviticus, E.G., gays are an abomination vs. lobster is good for you? Are you stoning Sabbath-breakers yet?

http://www.johnnagnew.com
http://herps2art.wordpress.com