Predetermination

Started by rcole_sooner, 10/01/2008 06:04PM
Posted 10/01/2008 06:04PM Opening Post
There probably as many posts, on this subject in this forum, as there are views on this in the real world, but since it has recently come up as a topic in a recent thread, I thought I would start another thread about it.

My two cents.

I think both predetermination and freewill exist. This means that God "knows" all the people that will be saved before time existed, and yet all people have the choice of being saved or not.

It is probably viewed as a "cop out" since I cannot explain this, but I cannot do more than offer ramblings.

So the thread is started. (again?)

==============
Russell Cole

Earth First! We'll strip mine the other planets later.
Posted 10/02/2008 02:53AM | Edited 10/02/2008 02:54AM #1
Yeah this forum has been down this path a number of times. Suffice to say that if the future is so predetermined, then 'free will' is purely illusory: we are all automatons destined to make choices that appear to be 'free' but that in fact we are doomed to make as products of our upbringing, cultural influences and random personal life events. If your 'choice' can be known ahead of time, then it never really was a choice but rather a linear result of a predetermined chain of cause and effect.

On a more philosophical level, if this were the case it would make the whole exercise (creation, life, etc.) rather meaningless. What's the point of going through all this if the outcome has already been determined? What is the use?