My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Prov 22:6

Started by RussCarroll, 07/19/2011 09:46AM
Posted 07/19/2011 09:46AM Opening Post
From the Amplified Bible, a far better translation from the Hebrew text:

"Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it."

If you have a child that loves and is good at playing the piano, encourage him along those lines. Don't insist on making him a football player because it is your bent.

VERY good parental advice. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard the story "My parents wanted me to be a Doctor, and I changed my major to [XYZ] because I hated it so much.", or the number of kids in football programs I've been part of that just obviously hated the game and were playing for there parents sake, etc.

Encourage your kids down a path they like and are bent towards and they will do that for a lifetime.
Posted 07/19/2011 12:27PM #1
Interesting how the different translations have very slight differences, some that can make a big difference. Yes, the Amplified verse you show here brings out an important point that not so clear in the others.

However, the Contemporary English Version shows the verse with a very different meaning. Makes one wonder. "Teach your children right from wrong, and when they are grown they will still do right."