Northern Cardinal

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Question Regarding Judaism

Started by drachal, 01/18/2012 08:24PM
Posted 01/18/2012 08:24PM Opening Post
Do Jews baptize? I was wondering because of the story of John baptizing Jesus and others in the Jordon River.

[COLOR="Blue"]Darian Rachal[/COLOR]
Posted 01/18/2012 08:46PM #1
Posted 01/19/2012 06:34AM #2
Darian Rachal said:

Do Jews baptize? I was wondering because of the story of John baptizing Jesus and others in the Jordon River.

No

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 01/19/2012 10:45AM #3
Darian Rachal said:

Hi Darian,

Baptisim was widely recognised by the Jews as a rite for non-jews who wished to become members of the Jewish faith. Some Jewish sects also practiced baptism on a wider scale. For example, the Essenes practised daily baptism. When John was baptising and the Jewish leaders sent a delegation to him, they never questioned the baptism, only by what authority he did so. So the rite was widely known.

I am not so sure about modern-day Jews, but I do not think they do. I will have to ask one of my Jewish students.

Regards

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.
Posted 01/19/2012 08:59PM #4
Thanks to everyone. Baptism is such a common thing today that I really never had given the matter much thought. To be able to transport oneself back in time 2000 years to that area and just observe what actually occurred; I just wonder how accurate a picture we actually have?

[COLOR="Blue"]Darian Rachal[/COLOR]