Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Another point of view (out of context)

Started by ziggy1, 01/26/2003 11:51PM
Posted 01/26/2003 11:51PM Opening Post
It is unfortunate that we all have preconcieved ideas and expectations form are fellow man based on labels which are bastardized by the actions of some who reflect very little of the belief system. Klu Klux Klan and Christianity seems like one that is the epitome of the situation.
Posted 01/27/2003 04:21AM #1
This little interaction touches on something I often wonder about: what will ultimately become of all these opposing faiths? Several of them seem to have mutual conversion (or annihilation) as stated goals. The increasing smallness of the world, and our being forcibly crammed together in communications, economics and international relations is bringing about a degree of cultural homogenization that will inevitably have an impact, eventually on religion. The issue is going to be forcing itself upon us. Really it already has in terms of the way they perceive each other. 100 years ago the average person would have simply called Muslims 'heathens' or 'pagans' or some such thing not even knowing the very simplest aspects of the faith. Now there is an increased degree of understanding, and yet still a desire by some for bringing about the "Jihad". I see these future long-term possibilities for many of the dominant religions:

1) Dilution (sufficient to allow the 'others' to exist) and peaceful co-existence thereafter
2) Dilution as above but resulting in gradual dissolution (a sort of agnosticism by default)
3) Dilution and fusion (unlikely but stranger things have happened)
4) Solidification and Jihad (the future which must be avoided at all costs)
5) Simple cultural conversion over time by one religion that eventually becomes dominant

Anyone have any odds on these?