Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: disgraceful supreme court

Started by maurice clark, 05/20/2014 01:15AM
Posted 05/20/2014 01:15AM Opening Post
So you think it is disgraceful when your Supreme Court does its job and says that according to your constitution the government cannot discriminate? What you want them to do is to make sure the country is run according to your religious beliefs?

I have no agreement with homosexuality. I believe it is disgusting and a sin. However I do not have the right to force someone else to believe as I do. Apparently you feel that you do have such a right and you want the courts to back you. That is the road to religious persecution. Something that your original settlers fled.

You cannot legislate morality. And trying to is evil. You can only change people's thinking one-on-one.

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.
Posted 05/20/2014 05:14PM #1
billy moss said:

My right as a Christian is to tell people what the Bible says. God completely destroyed two cities because of this un natural sin. If the Supreme court is not going to help run this country in the way that God wants us to, and add to the immorality, then they need to do away with the Bible as a swearing in tool. If enough Christians would express their feelings about this disgusting sin, maybe the supreme court would think. They are letting a small minority do what the majority of the people are against. Some one has to stand up. I had much rather make the Supreme Court and the gays mad, than to make God mad. Biblical correctness is a lot more important than political correctness. If you think I am wrong for expressing my opinion, you will just have to think it. That is what is wrong with this country now, Christians have stood by and let immorality take over. One woman took the Bible out of school, while millions of Christians did nothing, If we had of took a stand then, maybe our school systems would not be in the shape they are in now. Jesus gave his life, his body torn and ripped to shreds, so I can keep from having to go through that. The least I can do is do my best to get the word to the places they need to be.

Billy:

You are missing the critical point. All of our laws regarding gay marriage and all of the court cases requiring gay marriage concern civil marriage granted under the laws of a state. The Equal Protection Clause, in my view and in the view of most courts, prohibits discrimination in the civil marriage laws based upon orientation. Obviously, each state can also pass laws directly sanctioning civil marriage between gays as the voters of those states see fit. Your own narrow and suspect theological viewpoint should not be considered by the Courts or the Legislatures. It is a shame that Maurice (an Aussie) has to explain these simple concepts to you.

On the other hand, the Establishment and Free Exercise clauses assure that nothing the Supreme Court does and no state statute can force your church to grant gays sacramental marriage. I'm assuming that wholehearted endorsement of discrimination against gays is how your church interprets scripture, and I am very saddened to say that this is how my church interprets scripture, for now at least. Until that ancient prejudice is rectified, churches are free to discriminate in the dispensation of sacramental marriage as they see fit.

Jim

Posted 05/20/2014 06:06PM #2
billy moss said:

God completely destroyed two cities because of this un natural sin.

You may want to re-look at this:

Ezekiel 16:49-50: "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."