Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Hominids, not just for breakfast anymore.

Started by ziggy1, 02/15/2003 11:14PM
Posted 02/15/2003 11:14PM Opening Post
Wow,
This has been a really civil thread with some really good questions.
The questions I have with this and the question of the soul is:
1. The biochemical reactions in brain cells is considered to be our thoughts.
2. All of our memories are stored as molecules or chains of molecules.
Now these statements are pretty well accepted both by Christians and non-Christians. My question is, is this view or approach on brain function, actually correct? If evolution is completely true and correct then this view would have to be correct, and this would basically eliminate much of the theological debate and totally remove any differentiation between man and animals. Now the Christian side of the discussion has pretty much accepted the present scientific explaination, since the Bible makes zero reference to brain function and only refers to our personality essence as a soul and Christians have really failed to think through all of the implications.

Is our brain actually the seat of our being or is it the physical organic interface of something metaphysical, the soul? I raise this question for a variety of reasons.

1. If the present scientific explaination is true, then a persons soul, or his essence is dependant on the overall health and proper function of his brain. Any brain disfunction would directly decrease or eliminate a persons soul or essence, this is a position I can not accept for many reasons.
2. Considering how much computer memory space just one high definition image takes, is it reasonable to expect that a person's complete life, memories, experiences, abilities be condensed and stored in the billions of brain cells we each have?
3.If everything really is in the brain then in essence we should be able to actually sort of distill our personality out of the molecules that are in our brain.

If the brain is only an interface then there will be no problems answering No. 1 ,2, and 3.

If our brain is not an interface but actually "us" then how do we answer questions No. 1,2, and 3? I would really be interested in some thoughts from some of the "deep thinkers" out there?

The actual answer to this question could have some very profound effects on science, medicine, specifically neurology, and theology.
Ron
Posted 02/16/2003 12:02AM #1
I'll take a stab at it.

The original-language terms (Heb., ne'phesh; Gr., psy·khe') as used in the Scriptures show "soul" to be a person, an animal, or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.

The connotations that the English "soul" commonly carries in the minds of most persons are not in agreement with the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words as used by the inspired Bible writers.

More recently, when The Jewish Publication Society of America issued a new translation of the Torah, or first five books of the Bible, the editor-in-chief, H. M. Orlinsky of Hebrew Union College, stated that the word "soul" had been virtually eliminated from this translation because, "the Hebrew word in question here is 'Nefesh.'" He added: "Other translators have interpreted it to mean 'soul,' which is completely inaccurate. The Bible does not say we have a soul. 'Nefesh' is the person himself, his need for food, the very blood in his veins, his being."-The New York Times, October 12, 1962.

Brien

Posted 02/16/2003 12:16AM #2
The idea that humans have a separate part of themselves that exists after we die, is a part of many religious thought. Even at the beginning, Satan said to Eve that she would not die, if she disobeyed God (Genesis 3:4). Adam and Eve did die though, and their bodies went back to the ground, as dust (Genesis 3:19). They were not mentioned as living anywhere else. Plato, also; was important in shaping some Christian belief, that man has a separate soul, that is unextinguished by death.

I think our brains filter out a lot of unimportant details out of memories. For example, can you remember what you saw and did in school, every day you were there? We only remember the details that are important. I am not a psychologist, so am taking a guess here. So, our brain only has to have a capacity to store these valuable memories. I did read though, that we are only using a small portion of our brain capacity in our present human life-time.

Jesus said that the very hairs on our head are numbered (Luke 12:7). This means that when it is time for God to resurrect us, after we have died, he can recall our genetic makeup, including memories (not too hard for him), to recreate us (Matthew 19:28).

Brien
Posted 02/16/2003 01:20AM #3
I have some friends who have a severly retarded daughter. She is 12 years old physically, but 6 months old mentally.

This much I know: when I look very deep into Chelsea's eyes I see a very intelligent, whole person looking back at me into my eyes. Entrapped in the physical and mental handicap is a precious, intelligent aware spirit, or soul.

No, Mitch, this cannot be measured scientifically.

But I know what I see and feel when I look into her being.

My 2 cents.

John