NGC 1977 HaB-RGB

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Religion

Started by dmatulis, 02/18/2011 07:47AM
Posted 02/18/2011 07:47AM Opening Post
What is the fastest growing religion in the world?

Answer: Christianity.

Most here will probably answer Islam, but a form of biblically inspired evangelical Christianity is sweeping through places like China, Africa, India and Southeast Asia – making it, by far, the fastest growing faith on the planet. Our church sponsors a missionary to Nigeria and he reports that the response to the Gospel is miraculous. Who are the greatest majority of converts? Muslims. And this even amidst threat of death from their former muslim brothers.

Christianity is overlooked as the fastest-growing faith in the world because most surveys look at the traditional Protestant denominations and the Roman Catholic Church while ignoring Christian believers who have no part of either. In the book Mega Shift, author James Rutz makes to following claims:

* The growing core of Christianity crosses theological lines and includes 707 million born-again people who are increasing by 8 percent a year

* There will be pockets of resistance and unforeseen breakthroughs, still, at the rate we're growing now, to be comically precise, there would be more Christians than people by the autumn of 2032, about 8.2 billion

* until 1960, Western evangelicals outnumbered non-Western evangelicals – mostly Latinos, blacks and Asians – by two to one. As of 2000, non-Western evangelicals outnumbered Westerners by four to one. That moved to seven to one this year

* There are now more missionaries sent from non-Western nations than Western nations

* This trend has been missed by Westerners because the explosive growth is elsewhere

* Hundreds of millions of these Christians are simply not associated with the institutional churches at all. They meet in homes. They meet underground. They meet in caves. They meet, he says, in secret

* By tomorrow, there will be 175,000 more Christians than there are today

Just food for thought...

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 02/18/2011 08:28AM | Edited 02/18/2011 08:28AM #1
Doug Matulis said:

* There will be pockets of resistance and unforeseen breakthroughs, still, at the rate we're growing now, to be comically precise, there would be more Christians than people by the autumn of 2032, about 8.2 billion

Just food for thought...

I don't have any info. to dispute this guy's main point Doug, that evangelicals are recruiting well across the globe. But when he includes something as stupid as the part I quoted above - even in jest - I wonder about the legitimacy of his serious conclusions.

Jim
Posted 02/20/2011 08:05AM | Edited 02/20/2011 08:05AM #2
You actually read this and still took it seriously? Methinks somebody is pulling your leg. LOL.

The ground truth...while this is something that's incredibly difficult to quantify, the figures I've seen place Christianity's growth behind Islam at 1.38% vice about 1.4%.

Surprisingly, the up and comer is...BUDDHISM. And maybe it is about time. wink

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/