Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Salvation or Good Works

Started by Herp-art, 03/09/2010 03:39PM
Posted 03/09/2010 03:39PM Opening Post
Since my formal religious education ended about 40 years ago, the answer to this question may have been lost in time if I ever heard it at all. So, I'm curious as to what Astromarters think. Is your personal salvation more important than doing good works--helping your fellow man? Not that one should replace the other, but which should receive more attention? Some would say one follows the other, but I'm not so sure. Are good works really that great if you do them expecting eternal payback?

http://www.johnnagnew.com
http://herps2art.wordpress.com
Posted 03/09/2010 05:57PM #1
I think the two are inseparable, for most of we able bodied folks. Works are not required for salvation, but the faith that is required for salvation will lead those that are capable to do good works.

==============
Russell Cole

Earth First! We'll strip mine the other planets later.
Posted 03/09/2010 06:01PM #2
John,

My religious education also ended more than 40 years ago when I finally realized that organized religion and religious beliefs were just superstition and fairy tales, with no basis in reality. To me, salvation is also a superstition and therefore a non issue. My decisions on "doing good works" are based purely on my personal sense of right and wrong, not the threat of going to Hell or being rewarded in Heaven.

It seems to me that most anyone should be able to figure out the difference between right and wrong on their own, but history has proven that not to be the case. I suspect that religion was invented by man, to control men who could not figure things out on their own. My parents and grandparents, though not religious, taught me this sense of right and wrong through their actions and I admired their ability to get along with most everyone and the respect given them by others.

I don't pretend to be perfect and I've made my share of poor decisions over the years, but I've slowly learned by the consequences of those decisions and how they made me feel. I've never felt the desire to go into a building once a week and grovel on my knees for forgiveness of my mistakes to an inanimate object. Rather, I've learned that a better solution is to make good directly to the person I've wronged.

Over the years, I've enjoyed the benefit of a number of complete strangers who have gone out of their way to help me out when I needed it, usually not with money but with deeds. I never questioned their motives and I really don't care, but I remember very clearly how their concern made me feel. I've found that going out of my way to help someone when the opportunity presents itself, is not difficult and gives everyone a newfound respect for each other. It's just the right thing to do and requires no future reward or exemption from punishment.
Posted 03/11/2010 04:17AM #3
I believe that faith in Christ is what brings salvation, but faith is not only belief. Faith in Christ is a belief that motivates us to serve God, and to do what he asks us to do. We do not really have faith if we passively believe, but fail to keep God's commandments as best we can, and don't repent and try to improve each day as we make mistakes. We also need to try to do good for mankind to the extent that we can. This is how we show our love for God, and appreciation for his gift to us. This, I believe, is the pathway to salvation.

I believe that Paul's emphasis on faith is due to a particular audience that was dedicated to strict obedience to the commandments to the exclusion of the foundation of faith in Christ. And I believe that James comments about "faith without works" are focused toward an audience who were relying only on professions of belief without action. So in my view, these two different viewpoints are reconcilable.

Rushby Craig
Centerville, UT
8" f6 reflector
Takahashi FS-128 Fluorite Apochromatic Refractor
EQ6 Synscan GEM