M8 - The Lagoon

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Slavery and The Bible

Started by RussCarroll, 06/24/2012 08:42PM
Posted 06/24/2012 08:42PM Opening Post
A hot topic amongst those that try and assail the Bible. Here is a teaching on the subject from Philemon that looks at the subject:

http://www.searchablesermons.com/?VideoID=4146

I highly encourage especially Christians to watch this message to equip you on the subject.

I highly encourage non-Christians to watch this message on what scripture actually says about the subject. Spoiler alert, the type of Slavery seen in the United States is referred to even in the Old Testament...punishable by death.
Posted 06/24/2012 11:17PM | Edited 06/24/2012 11:19PM #1
Russ Carroll said:

A hot topic amongst those that try and assail the Bible. Here is a teaching on the subject from Philemon that looks at the subject:

http://www.searchablesermons.com/?VideoID=4146

I highly encourage especially Christians to watch this message to equip you on the subject.

I highly encourage non-Christians to watch this message on what scripture actually says about the subject. Spoiler alert, the type of Slavery seen in the United States is referred to even in the Old Testament...punishable by death.

The video kept stopping so I am not sure what your exact message is but from your last paragraph I am assuming you are trying to minimize the stink of slavery in the Bible.

The OT allowed slavery albeit the treatment of slaves in Israel was much better than other nations and in the US. But slavery is slavery and non-Israelites (and their progeny) were slaves forever, even being passed down as inheritance. There was also slavery of Israelites but this is more akin to endentured servants and after 7 years they were freed.

The treatment of slaves by Christian masters was even better than in the OT, especially if the slave was a Christian too.

However, slavery is slavery. You can put a pig in a dress but it's still a pig. The fact that enlightened American churches tolerated the practice for over 200 years adds another stain.

BTW Russ, I notice the word amongst. Are you British or Canadian?

Jim J

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." - Thomas Sowell