NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

The Bible

Started by dmatulis, 12/03/2010 08:02PM
Posted 12/03/2010 08:02PM Opening Post
Does the Bible have any authority in humanity? Are it words powerful?

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "
Posted 12/03/2010 08:11PM #1
Doug Matulis said:

Of course the words are powerful and authoritative. The Bible contains tons of profound philosophy and wisdom useful even if one is an atheist. It is not really disputable that the Bible and the Constitution are the two most powerful and authoritative written documents recognized by the majority of people of the United States. What's your point?

Jim
Posted 12/04/2010 01:13AM #2
Doug Matulis said:

Hi Doug,
There are at least two views on "authority". Legal authority would be an official government policy or stance. Refferent authority is supported only by opinion, yet is what most people fall back on.

An example would be a young officer giving an order to his troups. He has the legal authority to do so. Should that order be something questionable, his men may turn to the most experienced enlisted man for advice. He may hold no power over the officer, but his opinion is respected.

I would say the Bible has refferent authority. Legal authority in the USA resides within the frame of the Constitution, and flows down to our law makers and police who hold positions of responsibility.

Thanks,
Steve
8)

Posted 12/04/2010 01:13AM #3
Doug Matulis said:

Hi Doug,
There are at least two views on "authority". Legal authority would be an official government policy or stance. Refferent authority is supported only by opinion, yet is what most people fall back on.

An example would be a young officer giving an order to his troups. He has the legal authority to do so. Should that order be something questionable, his men may turn to the most experienced enlisted man for advice. He may hold no power over the officer, but his opinion is respected.

I would say the Bible has refferent authority. Legal authority in the USA resides within the frame of the Constitution, and flows down to our law makers and police who hold positions of responsibility.

Thanks,
Steve
8)