Cygnus Star Cloud

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

The End is Near!

Started by rprovin, 05/06/2011 05:30PM
Posted 05/06/2011 05:30PM Opening Post
About 41 percent of Americans think that Jesus will return before 2050, according to a 2010 poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. And at the moment we have this specific prediction: http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/

The question is, what do you all think of this?

Thank you,
Robert

"A wise man, ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
-David Hume
Posted 05/07/2011 06:49AM #1
I guess 41% of Americans have not read 1 Thessalonians 5.

I am also of the opinion that people often forget to examine all the possibilities when interpreting what someone has said, like Scripture. So perhaps Christ's return will be in a way not expected, maybe not all at once or in the same way for everyone. I personally believe He will most definitely return, but also don't think anyone can know how or when or where.
Posted 05/08/2011 06:15AM #2
Given my age, I'll probably meet him before then. I hope we hit it off.
Other then that, I would guess that the people making these predictions must be pretty smart indeed:
"However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."
Posted 05/09/2011 01:03AM #3
Robert Provin said:

About 41 percent of Americans think that Jesus will return before 2050, according to a 2010 poll by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press. And at the moment we have this specific prediction: http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/

Thank you,
Robert

Hi Robert,
Between May 5th and the 12th 2012. But seriously, that's a long wait for a train that doesn't stop here any more. As others have said here in reply, just be ready. I don't subscribe to the belief that Jesus was divine, nor to a second coming.

If the world ends tomorrow, we still have to get through today.
Steve
8)

Posted 05/09/2011 04:20AM #4
Although different Christian denominations have different views on the end times, pretty much all confess to the second coming of Christ. That's pretty much a requirement for orthodoxy, whether catholic or protestant, or otherwise. It's also outside of orthodoxy to predict an exact date. Churches that have predicted exact dates always seem to center around a specific individual who teaches unique views, a "Cult of Personality".
There are signs of the end times being played out, so I don't see any reason not to think his coming is not imminent. But I don't know if it will be before 2050. The feeling of imminent return based on current events is not unique to these times, many in the new testament church felt that way as well.
1Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,  2That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
Posted 05/09/2011 05:53AM #5
Robert, I think it would be interesting to break down the 41% by ethnicity, age, denomination, etc. I think that Baptists are the largest Protestant denomination in the US, I but am really not sure the extent to which the "Second Coming" is emphasized by them; it definitely seems to be an attribute of the more "fundamental sects.

[COLOR="Blue"]Darian Rachal[/COLOR]
Posted 05/09/2011 07:34AM #6
Robert Provin said:

Thank you,
Robert

Predictions like this are a hoot! The Bible clearly states that no man will know the day or the hour, only the father in heaven. When you see this stuff, rest assured, us believers will still be with you on AM on the 22nd!

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "