Scorpion and Jupiter, August 07

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Waste of space?

Started by wpaolini, 05/09/2011 02:06PM
Posted 05/09/2011 02:06PM | Edited 05/09/2011 02:12PM Opening Post
In the Movie Contact the question is asked if we are alone in the universe, to which the reply is, "If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space."

Question, let's assume that except for Earth and the Human race, that the universe is indeed devoid of any other intelligent life, maybe any other life at all. Would you then consider God's work, His creation, as essentially a waste of space if in all the vastness it was only us who inhabited it?

The movie obviously had religious overtones. From a religious standpoint, and in the context of the movie, it does seem appropriate to Jodie Foster's character as non-religious to think this, but does it seem appropriate to Matthew McConaughey's character as a religious person?
Posted 05/09/2011 03:15PM #1
William Paolini said:

In the Movie Contact the question is asked if we are alone in the universe, to which the reply is, "If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space."

Question, let's assume that except for Earth and the Human race, that the universe is indeed devoid of any other intelligent life, maybe any other life at all.

Would you then consider God's work, His creation, as essentially a waste of space if in all the vastness it was only us who inhabited it?

The movie obviously had religious overtones. From a religious standpoint, and in the context of the movie, it does seem appropriate to Jodie Foster's character as non-religious to think this, but does it seem appropriate to Matthew McConaughey's character as a religious person?

If this were true, it would cement into my head that no God exists. I cannot see why a supreme being would create such vastness, especially when we are then incapable of seeing, getting, or utilizing it.

Interesting question for sure.

I can't answer the other questions since it has been several years since I have seen the movie.
Posted 05/10/2011 04:25AM #2
I believe this is what is meant by "The heavens declare the Glory of God". It tells us about his nature. The vastness is a part of that. The beauty and the order is a part of that as well. The more we learn about the universe, the more there is to learn. He's demonstrating his infinite complexity to us.

I think calling it a waste of space is like a housing developer looking at a forest and calling it a waste of space.
Posted 05/10/2011 07:14AM #3
William Paolini said:

Question, let's assume that except for Earth and the Human race, that the universe is indeed devoid of any other intelligent life, maybe any other life at all. Would you then consider God's work, His creation, as essentially a waste of space if in all the vastness it was only us who inhabited it?

For something to be considered a waste, there must be something from which it is viewed as not properly used or that the waste somehow takes something away from another entity that could use it. This is not the case in regards to creation. Creation belongs to God and He is competing with no one else external to creation, nor within creation itself. Nothing is wasted, all has purpose though we may not yet fully understand that purpose.

Doug Matulis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need something to put here, can you help? wink "