Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Anybody Watch the Women's World Cup Soccer Match?

Started by drachal, 07/18/2011 05:42PM
Posted 07/18/2011 05:42PM Opening Post
I have never paid attention to soccer before, but I found watching the US team quite enjoyable. smile

Darian R.
Posted 07/18/2011 07:33PM #1
I watched most of the game. Women's soccer doesn't attract a lot of attention in North America. About 5 years ago I saw a bit of a televised game, US versus Canada, played at the Rose Bowl. I doubt there were 3,000 in attendance. Similarily, I saw another game played in Edmonton, and there were even fewer in the audience. The sport is growing here but it doesn't have the speed and power that can show in the men's league.

I didn't get to see the end of the US women versus Japan. When I left, the US had scored in the first overtime period. I thought they had pretty much won it. The penalty kicks are such a poor way to end a game. At that point, the game is over and the outcome has a lot to do with luck. Both teams played well and should be congratulated. On another day, the outcome could have been totally different.

dan
Posted 07/19/2011 02:13AM #2
As the resident soccer nut here (see my profile)... no.

United Kids Wife... In That Order 8)
Posted 07/19/2011 05:07PM #3
Not to put Japan down, but it was one of those games where the team that was clearly better did not win. The U.S. dominated every facet of the game -- except putting the ball in the goal. The two U.S. goals were on classic, well-executed plays. The U.S. basically gave Japan its first goal by committing the basic mistake of not clearing the ball from in front of the goal. I didn't get a real good look at the goal Japan scored off of its corner kick. It's a little unusual to sneak one in around the near post like that.

The U.S. really choked in the shoot-out. The Japanese goalie made a miraculous save after she completely overran the ball. Hope Solo made a good save for the U.S. That should have been all that was required. Congratulations to Japan for not giving up in a game that should have been over after the first thirty minutes.