Soccer is done!

Started by Lee_S, 06/27/2010 03:27AM
Posted 06/27/2010 03:27AM Opening Post
USA! USA! USA!
...what? Our team lost to Ghana?

No problem. Soccer isn't nearly as interesting at Arena Football anyway... wink

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 06/27/2010 04:04AM #1
I would rather take a poke in the eye than watch a bunch of guys passing a ball up and down the field in a game that ends in a score like 2 - 1 or worse, a tie. I don't understand the reasoning behind having ties in group play, then having overtime play in games like todays. The rest of the world can have it. My hat is off to the athletisism of soccer players though.

Oklahoma State University--The University of Oklahoma!--GO POKES!! GO STATE!!
Posted 06/29/2010 02:53PM | Edited 06/29/2010 02:56PM #2
Lee Spain said:

USA! USA! USA!
...what? Our team lost to Ghana?

No problem. Soccer isn't nearly as interesting at Arena Football anyway... wink

I wouldn't say soccer is done because the US lost. That's like saying baseball is done because your favorite team lost. Pick another team and keep ridin'

But I would say soccer is done until it addresses the obvious problems with blown calls and/or biased officiating. It will have difficulty increasing it's audience share in the US. When scores are 1-0 and 0-0 and each goal changes the entire strategy of the game, it is critical that each call is correct, that the game rests on the play of the teams, not on the ability of the officials to make the right call.

If I had to guess the results of the World Cup, I would guess that the actual outcome will seriously affected by a blown call, someone will be jobbed either in the Semi's or in the finals and the out cry will be sufficient to force a change.

Soccer has roasted itself, put a fork in it, it's done.

Jon