Cocoon Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Tour de France

Started by Jud, 07/07/2006 10:14AM
Posted 07/07/2006 10:14AM Opening Post
Wouldn't want you guys to slight the Tour de France. Not your zoom-zoom high impact, parts flying kind of racing, but one with drama for those who take the time to understand it. Plus, it is one of the most wide-open Tours in years with several legitimate contenders. Tomorrow will be a defining day with the 52K individual time trial.

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 07/07/2006 01:23PM #1
Judson:

As a cyclist who even does a bit of racing and even time trials, I have a hard time with the drug thing. The cyclists I know are probably the cleanest living folks of any one identifable group.

First it was Festina so we knew that drugs were a real part of the Tour, not just wild stories and rumours..

Then when I recovered from that, I really did get exited about the Little Pirate, Pantani.., And then he is disqualified while leading the Tour.. And then guys like Tyler Hamilton.

This year I was starting to get excited once again, Thursday we were talking Ullrich and Basso, Friday they are gone...

The problem I have with athletes and drugs is this:

When I see a performance, whether it 33mph time trial or climbing an 8% grade for nearly an hour at 13mph+, what makes it amazing is that I know what those speeds mean. If they are the result of training and genetics, I am amazed and see these super human efforts as what a man who is motivated to train and who have great genes can do.

But instead, if they are merely the result of someone willing to cheat, to take drugs then these performances are nothing that I can compare my own feeble performances to. I don't really care to watch or follow such events...

Pro-sports, well, these days I spend my money supporting the Special Olympics, integrety and sportmanship are more important than speed and skill.

Sorry to be such a downer but bicycle racing has some serious work ahead if it wants to regain some level of creditability...

Jon