Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

First Try - M33

Started by reconair, 11/26/2006 10:24PM
Posted 11/26/2006 10:24PM Opening Post
I just started playing with my ST2000XM and thought I would give M33 a try. My expectations were low given my first use of the camera, but I was pleasantly surprised with the result.

M33
Tak TSA102 on G-11 unguided
Sbig ST2000XM
10X120s stacked in Registax
Finished in PSv.7

Attached Image:

reconair's attachment for post 34619

Scott Busby
A.K.A. Reconair

Carpe Noctum

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
- Ptolemy,c.150 AD
Posted 11/26/2006 11:05PM #1
Alright Louis! That is a great looking 1st start: I know mine wasn't that good and I used the same scope and camera!

Now get some color data and complete the good job you started.

Ciao
Luca

www.amun-ra.org
Solar Imaging Website
Posted 11/26/2006 11:17PM #2
Louis,
Very, very nice first light! It is a tougher subject than you'd think, isn't it? Congrats on the new camera,
Larry
Posted 11/26/2006 11:19PM #3
Congrats Louis, great FIRST shot! 8)
Looking forward to your next ones! wink

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 11/27/2006 12:11AM #4
Very nice, Louis! This hobby is addictive, isn't it? You've been warned. grin

Eric
Posted 11/27/2006 12:56AM #5
Looking good Louis! The focus looks great and the detail you captured is very nice. Overall, it is a wonderful image.

I hope you don't mind a suggestion for your processing.... I'll bet there is detail in the core that you have stretched to white. Take a look at the original frames to see if you are washing out the core in the processing procedure. My guess is that you used "levels" in Photoshop to bring out the detail in the frame and that you adjusted the white point downward. This often results in areas washing out that had detail in the original frames. Instead, try using big upward "Curves" in Photoshop that don't flatline at the top end. I think you will find lots of detail in the core that you can bring back. Let me know how it works out.

Cheers,
Tyler

"The expression of the beautiful is in direct ratio to the power of perception acquired by the artist." (Gustave Courbet)