M42 - Newbie to the digital SLR thing....

Started by tegwilym, 02/22/2005 07:58PM
Posted 02/22/2005 07:58PM Opening Post
I thought I would post one of my first tries with my new Canon 10D. I just got the camera last week, and here in Seattle we have had amazing weather, but an almost full moon unfortuanetly, so that kind of cuts back on deep sky stuff a little bit. Here is one of my first tries with the 10D camera. It's nothing fancy, but it's a lot better than anything I've done with any of my previous cameras, I'm totally impressed with what this thing can do! smile

If anyone is looking for one, I have my SAC8-II camera for sale in the Classified section of this site.

Comments, suggestions or just pointing and laughing are welcome!

Tom
Renton, WA
www.geocities.com/tegwilym2/astrophotos

Attached Image:

tegwilym's attachment for post 22430
Posted 02/22/2005 08:02PM #1
Tom, considering your conditions & the total exposure time you got invested, I'd say you did a very good job! 8)
Good color & detail captured for such a short time...
Looking forward to your next shots! wink

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 02/22/2005 09:04PM #2
Hi Tom, you're off to a promising start!
A couple of things I found useful:
(a) DSLR Focus: a very nice focus program. There are also 2 or 3 others out there.
(b) Canon Timer: this will let you program multiple exposures and rest times in between exposures.

Good luck,
Ivan
Posted 02/22/2005 09:14PM #3
Tom,

Was that shot at F/10 or did you use a focal reducer? You said it was a "mosaic" - you don't mean "stacking"?

Looks exactly like some of my first shots I got with the 10D on my 12" LX200.

Russ
Posted 02/22/2005 11:14PM #4
Hey Tom! That's not bad at all!

Question: Can the SAC8 autoguide? For those really long jaw-dropping exposures, an autoguider is a must.
Posted 02/23/2005 12:28AM #5
Aloha Tom
Really nice image ! I have the Canon 10D as wel and it works great on deep space objects.
Did you ever tried it on the planets ? Hard to focus, maybe you need the canon software that comes with the camera to focus or use a 2.5 X angle viewer. I have a 14" and the deep sky objects come out great with the canon 10D, just need to polar align the scope better.
Freddy
Posted 02/23/2005 03:47AM #6
Nice first try, Don. I have some Canon equipment but have not hooked it to the back of the scope. You DSLR guys have me curious smile

Nice shot - Cal