Great Horned Owl

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

NGC 3034

Started by brucesdad13, 02/24/2015 12:24AM
Posted 02/24/2015 12:24AM Opening Post
This might seem a bit like a child's crayon art but I managed to get my first deep sky image tonight. It was bloody cold outside!! My filter wheel decided not to work in the cold. I took it inside and it worked fine when it warmed up but again displayed mechanical error when it got to temperature outside. I accidentally shattered the mount bracket (plastic) on my red dot finder and had to dig out my ol' finder scope. Did I mention it was cold?

Anyways, gave up imaging with the C8 and just used my ATIK 16IC that I had intended for guiding. I was able to hone in on NCG 3034 cigar galaxy. I took all sorts of exposures. I don't think I was focused but it was too cold to fuss with it. I'm very excited nonetheless to have something to show after two months of reading and tinkering.

This is made from a single unguided 30 second exposure with 2x2 binning using Artemis capture that came bundled with the camera. I processed it in IRIS v5.59. I had experimented with stacking it in Registax, AutoStakkert!2, and Astroart. I didn't find the stacking helped any with this particular session. *shrug* Better luck next time. =) Now i need to jb weld my red dot finder.

I uploaded it into http://nova.astrometry.net/ and it was cool to see that it correctly identified the image.

Attached Image:

brucesdad13's attachment for post 59155

~ Charlie Stevenson

8" f/5.7 String Telescope - 1st Scope Build; 2nd Place Stellafane 2016 Optical Award for Newtonians 12.5" and Smaller
10" f/4.5 Newtonian (June 2015) mirror refigured by Optic Wave Labs P-V WaveFront 1/14.24, Strehl Ratio 0.993 (Aug '15)
Criterion RV-6 seems to be circa 1973 (June 2015) [For Sale]
Celestron C8-A XLT (January 2015) [For Sale]
Celestron PowerSeeker 70AZ (Christmas 2014)
Aldrich Astronomical Society member since 2015
http://astro.charleskelleystevenson.com/
Posted 02/24/2015 09:22AM #1
Good job on your first deep sky image! I recognized it, too. Fortunately, warmer weather is on the way and it won't be so miserable to sit at the scope.