My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

OT: How to save images for viewing on different mo

Started by LD, 05/03/2006 07:01PM
Posted 05/03/2006 07:01PM Opening Post
Hello All,
A bit of an off-topic technical question, but here goes: When I process images I usually do so on a Toshiba laptop and then create the Jpegs which I ultimately post here. I also have another newer laptop at work (ThinkPad). A recent image I posted looked good on both those screens. Last night I happened to take a look at the posted image on an HP flat screen LCD I have at home (mostly used by the rest of the family, of course, so I can't monopolize with my projects) and the background was very black and the detail had been lost from my fainter areas. My worry is that, depending upon the monitor people have at home, they may well not be seeing the image that I am hoping they'll see. Okay, that was way too long, so finally my question: is there any way to save images so that they'll be good on a variety of screens that people might be using, or should I always give final tweaks looking at the best monitor I can?
Thanks for any advice,
Larry
Posted 05/03/2006 07:19PM #1
Exactly my problem.......I really would like to see your answers.

Alex
Posted 05/03/2006 08:02PM #2
Larry,

Using a calibrated monitor should help. Your images will then look relatively the same on other monitors that have a similar calibration.

However, I believe a properly processed image will hold up better on a variety monitors. I recently processed an image that looked good on my monitor. I then compared it to Rob Gendler and Russell Croman's images on several monitors. I noticed my image (poorly processed) fell apart while Rob and Russell's still looked pretty good. There's a lesson in there somewhere for me smile

Cal
Posted 05/03/2006 08:40PM #3
Larry Durst said:
.... so finally my question: is there any way to save images so that they'll be good on a variety of screens that people might be using, or should I always give final tweaks looking at the best monitor I can?

Hi Larry,
It's shocking to see how different the same image looks on different monitors. Your only hope is to work in a 'standard' color space, such as sRGB, on a calibrated monitor. You might find some more information here:
http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/MON_CAL.HTM

dan kowall
Posted 05/04/2006 01:38PM #4
Hi Larry

I have the same problem...I process on my laptop and It looks good and when I throw It on the desktop to post It looks very dark like the white point was set to low.
On my laptop I use PS7 and CS2 on my desktop so I might try processing with CS2 on my desktop(which has a LCD monitor)and see how that goes.

Cheers

Louie

Regards

LouieĀ  8)

www.atalas.net