Image of the day

Captured by
John Greenlee

Mars 11-26-2022

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Out in the Everglades, this past weekend...

Started by IGastaldo, 03/07/2005 01:25PM
Posted 03/07/2005 01:25PM | Edited 03/07/2005 01:25PM Opening Post
Well, my friend Maurizio DiSciullo and I decided to go out and check out this area that one of his friends had noted. It is located on mile marker 70, out on I-75N, way west from the Fort Lauderdale area in S.Florida...

We decided to leave home around 5:30pm, so that we could get there with still a lil' bit of light in order to set up our equipment more easily.
We got there at about 6:30pm, and was getting dark, but we managed to set up our stuff without tripping on anything... that was good... wink

This place is actually a "Rest Area", with no lights, no buildings, no towers, no nothing! (besides some light poles which NEVER get turned on!)

Needless to say, we were very anxious to see what the skies looked like out there, in the middle of nowhere... and we were NOT disappointed!

As darkness approached, we started to see more & more stars, until it became dark enough that we could pretty much identify nebulas & clusters "naked eye"... talk about excitement!

We could see the main road, as this large "parking lot" is about 300 feet away from I-75, but it was not a big issue, considering what we were able to see...

M42 was a beautiful sight, quite different from what you can see from light polluted skies, as you miss a big portion of the faint nebulosity that goes all the way around it...

We looked at a good number of clusters, some galaxies, and had tons of fun with Maurizio's set of binoculars, which worked great out here!

After a couple of hours, some clouds approached and started messing around, so we decided to pack our things and get back to our families... (but we'll be back for more, that's for sure!)

Anyways, I think we've found a good spot, which will certainly become very visited by us, and all our friends that would care to join us...

Clear skies to all! 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator