Photo Printer

Started by Alex McConahay, 02/19/2003 04:00PM
Posted 02/19/2003 04:00PM Opening Post
I'm looking to buy a good photo printer. I would like it to print on 8.5 x 11 paper. (no need for larger sizes). I would like it to be usable for text also (without any unreasonable compromising on photo quality). It is to be used at home, so speed and such is not absolutely critical. Don't really need any direct printing from camera and so forth. Price should be in the $250 to $350 range or so.

I am looking at the Cannon 950 and a similar Epson. Epson claims slightly better horizontal resolution (1440 v 1200 dpi). I like the Cannon individual ink tanks, and apparent speed, but I do not want to sacrifice photo quality for this.

Can these printers do the job reasonably well? (I know the real pros can tell the difference, but I am talking about prints on the wall, not professional work).

I would like the impression of astrophotographers, not just the general run of the mill human. (Although I also want to print other types of photos also.)

Which printer would be better? Other suggestions? Things to look for?

Alex
Posted 02/19/2003 06:05PM #1
I have the Epson 785 which has been superceded. The latest no frills version is the 825. It's almost 300.00 I believe, maybe a little less. They also make a cheepie version but I don't believe it uses the same photo ink cartridges.
The folks at the local camera store (large one) don't care for the Canon's, and showed me some prints they made that seem to justify their preference for the Epson.
I find the Epson I have very good for my digital stuff, but the cost of the paper and ink does add up quickly. I have learned to be judacious about what I print. If just snapshots, I make a cd and take it to Sams; they make great photo prints from digital files for .20 each and sometimes cheaper if they have a promo going.

Walt
Posted 02/19/2003 07:03PM #2
Alex,

You may want to take a look at this article from Outdoor Photographer magazine. It's an interesting read on inkjet resolutions.

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/2002/nov/digtlhorizon.html

-Bill M.