Re: Using a wireless system instead of laptop??

Started by chrishet, 02/12/2003 06:02PM
Posted 02/12/2003 06:02PM Opening Post
Hi Eric, I use a Dell laptop with an 802.11b wireless connection to my desktop, when I am imaging from home. I also use a Linksys WAP/Router. It requires that I place my laptop outside alongside my scope setup, but it does work quite nicely. I have all my equipment on a wheeled cart so I can easily move it in and out of the garage. Connected to the laptop is my AP Mount, Robofocus, and ST8XE. Once I have made a good drift alignment, and a 1 star GOTO alignment, I am ready to be remote for the rest of the evening. I use TheSky to slew the scope and CCDSoft for image acquisition and focusing. I have used RemoteAdmin to control the laptop CPU and it works fine. Right now I am experimenting with VNC (which is freeware) and it also seems to be working well.

I have not seen wireless USB hubs yet or wireless serial extensions but with Bluetooth I suppose may be coming soon or already exists. Wireless USB hubs would be fantastic for me as I am mostly portable and it would be GREAT to sit in the warm-up shed and have full control of my setup. I suppose if one had 2 laptops he could do a peer to peer wireless network in the field (I may have to try this sometime).

My 2 cents. Hope this helps.

BTW, here are two images I did from home using this setup
http://www.hetlage.com/astro/images/ic405.htm
http://www.hetlage.com/astro/images/m33.htm

Chris

Posted 02/13/2003 09:27PM #1
I would hope that someday there will be industry standard for wireless devices. Bluetooth seems to be the leader at this point, but I have not seen a Bluetooth USB extender (yet!). Anyone out here seen one?

At the same time it would be nice if our telescope/camera vendors would take note and also standardize their products for better integration. It also seems to me that SBIG, or some camera maker, would integrate/automate a color wheel, autofocuser, flash memory, and autoguider (and while they are at it just integrate in CCDSoft also). Basically a point and shoot astro-camera! But then how much fun would that be? Think about it...

Signed,
Day-Dreamer
Posted 02/14/2003 05:51AM #2
Unless I am way off base, doesn't SBIG have some kind of lan interface for one of there cameras? I am sure I read about it on their site once upon a time.

On the other hand, I shoot with a D60 and a timer remote controller. The D60 is a really great digital SLR and a totally self contained one shot collor astrocam. The nifty little timer remote costs a premium of $150+, but now I focus, frame and setup the remote to shoot a sequence of x number shots of however many minutes I want and then go back inside and watch TV and get warm again. I don't know that it is exactly point and shoot, but for under $2500 for a 3072 x 2048 pixel camera with <6 micron pixels has to rate up there.

Canon has been making this CMOS sensor line of cameras for only two years or so and they are up to an 11 million pixel sensor with awesome low light performance. I look forward to see what the future has in store.

Paul