How do you Determine a Good Dark Frame?

Started by skybuster, 05/14/2005 02:06PM
Posted 05/14/2005 02:06PM Opening Post
Hello all.
I am going to buy a Canon Digital Rebel (not the XT) now that they are coming down in price. I have no A-P experience yet although I would like to get my feet wet with the Canon and still have a very nice day - use camera.

I have heard or read some recommendations some where about checking out the "dark frame noise" or something like that on a new camera to help ensure I dont get a lemmon for astro photography. Could anyone tell me how to check out dark frame noise to make sure I get a good camera sample for A-P? Could it be done right in the camera store or is it more difficult?

Thank you very much for any and all help !
Tom
Posted 05/15/2005 08:15PM | Edited 05/15/2005 08:16PM #1
It could be done in the store [COLOR="Red"]if[/COLOR] they allowed you to take a dark frame of about 1 to 3 minutes and then take a look at it on a computer with some photo editing software. I personally don't know of any shops that would allow this, it's just not in their best interests. :S
I really don't think it is that big of a deal because with astro pics you will be (or should be) subtracting this noise out, that is the whole intention of the dark frame. Unless you get a real bad sample it probably won't effect much and if you do make sure you know what their exchange policy is before purchasing.

Robert W.

There's no substitute for fine glass!