Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nikon D5000

Started by Craig Burlette, 06/18/2017 03:09PM
Posted 06/18/2017 03:09PM Opening Post
I'm getting back into astronomy and would like to do a little astrophotography and photograph the solar eclipse this summer. I have a Nikon D5000 camera and a couple lenses that I inherited a few years ago. My question is how suitable is the D5000 to this task? Would I be better off buying a newer camera? And if so what would be a better choice?

Thanks
Craig Burlette
Posted 06/30/2017 04:30PM #1
Hi Craig,
I think most any camera should be able to capture the eclipse well. There will be a lot of dynamic range during totality with a dark moon shadow and the corona shining around it. I plan to just do a series of bracketed exposures so I can hopefully capture the corona with a good exposure. Also use the raw setting rather than jpeg to prevent compression. I think your lenses may be a bigger question based on how big the sun/moon will appear and whether you are tracking the eclipse or just have your camera on a tripod. There are lots of good references online if you google 'eclipse photography".
I have a modified Canon 600D, but I am not sure if a modified camera is an advantage or disadvantage when it comes to the eclipse. I cannot find much discussion on this.
Good luck,
Dom