Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Stacking DSLR pics

Started by Kevin, 02/17/2008 04:20PM
Posted 02/17/2008 04:20PM Opening Post
A couple questions from a long term "newbie". I have some images that I have taken with my DSLR (D70) both lunar, and deepsky but have only have the general knowledge to process one of the subs.

What is the cheapest (perhaps freeware) to stack a bunch of these. I assume a possible workflow would be to align/stack, then process in PS? Being a beginner, I recorded these as full rez JPEGs.

Regards,
Kevin
Posted 02/17/2008 06:51PM | Edited 02/17/2008 06:51PM #1
I answered your post in CCD forum, and suggested Deep Sky Stacker for deep space images. For lunar and planetary, Registax work pretty well, and is free. You can find it at

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/html/download.html

I shoot deep space with a D70 also, and have been really happy with DSS for registering and stacking. I pretty much shoot full-rez JPEGs as well. Until I got DSS, I routinely let the camera do the noise reduction. DSS does such a good job subtracting darks, however, I have started shooting dark frames in the field, and do the subtracting later. Ideally, I guess, we should shoot in RAW mode, but for me the resulting image size and extra work later doesn't justify the increase in detail I might get. Other factors are putting the limit on detail anyway! Some of my recent D70-JPEG-stacked with DSS images are currently on the Nikon Forum if you want to take a look.

Steve