My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

M19 via Images Plus

Started by pghyndman, 05/04/2002 11:24PM
Posted 05/04/2002 11:24PM Opening Post
Hi All,

I wanted to hit some of Ophiuchus' and the Scorpion's treasures while they obligingly passed the lone accessible opening in my southerly treeline. Despite minimal elevation and a thicker slice of atmosphere to contend with, the images came out pretty decent. I was especially gratified with the rich color variations present in the globulars and, with (drum roll please...) Images Plus was able to carry those over from the raw M19 images to the final without blowing out the core... (I haven't finished processing the M4 or M62 images yet).

Note the vivid range of colors and elliptical shape of the main body.

Vitals are: 8" Mak-Newt using a CoolPix 995 direct-coupled to a 31mm T5 Nagler EP. Combination of five 50 second shots taken at ISO800 in NR mode.

Cheers,

Paul

Attached Image:

pghyndman's attachment for post 351

Posted 05/07/2002 12:50AM #1
Hi All,

I just churned my M19 images once again and am reasonably happy with the results (especially since this was a low elevation muddy fuzz-ball to begin with).

One goal was to keep the stars as bright as possible while shaving off some of the fuzz, but not so severely as to substantially diminish the diffuse nature of the outer core.

The star bands crossing the central core should be more noticeable while retaining their subtle coloration.

Reducing background noise without losing fainter stars was another challenge.

Perhaps most important was my desire to keep the image from "looking" processed... keeping a gentle touch with the changes.

I'm still learning the Images Plus ropes but am loving it!

Paul

Attached Image:

pghyndman's attachment for post 61589