Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

New Kodac B&W Film

Started by rhinson11, 01/24/2003 04:44PM
Posted 01/24/2003 04:44PM Opening Post
Has any one tried the new black and white film from Kodac that can be developed using the c-41 process? I get tired of having to send my B&W rolls out to be developed and having to wait a week. I used to develope my own B&W, but my new land lady won't let me do that here.
Roger
Posted 01/24/2003 05:51PM #1
It's been around for 15 or 20 years - where have you been?
The latest stuff is more easily printed on Color paper whereas the earlier stuff (Kodak and others) was more designed for printing on B&W paper. Some of us printed it on color paper as well. The new stuff, especially the Portra B&W, is best done on Color Paper, but B&W will work, but the contrast is much lower and harder to control.
Recently I have taken the scanner approach to make B&W from color. I print a large (8x10) color print, scan it, desaturate, and print on my Photo inkjet printer. The nice think about this is that you still have an RGB file that can be "toned" to whatever suits your fancy, cold, warm, or whatever.
BTW, Kodak has also reformulated Tri-X with new processing times. I have a couple rolls to play with but haven't done so yet. I always loved that film.

Walt