Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Snowy Piliated Woodpecker

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Photo Processing?

Started by IGastaldo, 04/04/2003 12:00PM
Posted 04/04/2003 12:00PM Opening Post
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I could not find any trace of older ones...

I'm trying to get as much info as I can before I jump into the "CAMERA" bandwagon...

Who do you all use for Film Developing once you are done taking your shots? I know of some places like Walmart, Ritz Camera, Wolf Camera, Eckerd's, etc, etc... but is there one better than the other?
Or should I look for a more "specialized" shop?

Thanks for your input,

Ivan
smile

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 04/04/2003 12:18PM #1
Hi Ivan,
In my short experience in this area, I would say it depends on what you plan on doing with the photos. The general photoshops you mentioned can produce quality (for me at least) prints, but thier care of the negatives leaves alot to be desired. If you just want something to show friends, they should be fine. On the other hand...if you want to scan and enhance them digitally, I would reccomend having them developed at a more specialized photo store. I recently had 2 rolls developed, one at Ritz camera and one at Nelson's photo (both in San Diego). Ritz did a nice job on the prints, but left the negatives in a condition that was almost useless to me. They have done a good job before, but it does seem hit or miss. Nelson's has ALWAYS done a great job. Both prints and negatives have come out top notch. They have also just informed me that they can adjust the photos for me, scan them at different resolutions (higher than I can get with my Dimage scan dual III), and put it all on a cd. Cost more and no 1 hour turn around, but could save me alot of processing time. Bottom line is both will work, depending on your needs.
Don Spencer

Don Spencer
http://members.cox.net/ecdon/astrophotography.html
Posted 04/16/2003 11:29PM #2
A few points...
If your goal is the best quality...
1. Use fresh pro quality film that has been kept refrigerated..
2. Process as quickly as possible after exposure
3. The best quality processing guaranteed is "yours"(ex. with a JoboLab home darkroom)..with newly mixed fresh chemicals, used once..most commercial labs recycle their chemistry, which degrades the processing results.