California Narrowband

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Started by jmcarp, 08/26/2010 05:57PM
Posted 08/26/2010 05:57PM Opening Post
Here's a few images from last week at Great Sand Dunes National Park near Alamosa, Colorado. The dune field is located along the eastern edge of the San Luis Valley, nestled against the western base of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and is approx 30 sq miles in area. Elevation of the valley varies between 7500 and 8000+ feet, and mountains behind the dunes vary from 12K to 14K feet. The first two images are taken with a Nikon D70, and the second two are taken with a Canon G10. C&C welcome.

Jim

Attached Image:

jmcarp's attachment for post 51722
Posted 08/26/2010 05:58PM #1
This is a shot of Medano Creek, which drains the mountain slope behind the dunes and skirts the eastern and southern edge of the dune field. The creek is seasonal, and usually disappears into the sand before reaching the valley this time of year. The black sediment is ash from a recent forest fire on the slopes on the mountainside in the background.

Attached Image:

jmcarp's attachment for post 138174
Posted 08/26/2010 08:41PM #2
I went to the Great Sand Dunes when I was a kid...What a giant sand box.

John

John
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX
Posted 08/26/2010 09:03PM #3
Great photos Jim! I love the dunes. We were there last winter after a decent snow storm. The scenery was great and the sledding extraordinary!

Jim

Attached Image:

jameslbrown's attachment for post 138177
Posted 08/26/2010 09:10PM #4
Jim Carpenter said:

Here's a few images from last week at Great Sand Dunes National Park near Alamosa, Colorado. The dune field is located along the eastern edge of the San Luis Valley, nestled against the western base of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and is approx 30 sq miles in area. Elevation of the valley varies between 7500 and 8000+ feet, and mountains behind the dunes vary from 12K to 14K feet. The first two images are taken with a Nikon D70, and the second two are taken with a Canon G10. C&C welcome.

Jim

Check the foreground out carefully... Obviously two great artistic minds with shared vision!

wink

Jim (the other Jim)

Attached Image:

jameslbrown's attachment for post 138178
Posted 08/27/2010 12:07PM #5
Great pics, brought back memories of a visit I had there when I was a kid.
Posted 08/29/2010 08:55AM #6
Great pictures! I didn't even know this national park existed.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 09/03/2010 06:24AM #7
Fantastic shots & area... beautiful!
I love Sand Dunes! remember well when I was a kid, playing around the sand, going up & down... quite a workout! wink
Also, later on, crossing them in the middle of the deserts in Peru with our Motocross bikes... FUN!! 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator