Car thieves have new tricks

Started by RolandC, 12/01/2009 05:28PM
Posted 12/01/2009 05:28PM Opening Post
Those remote locks on our cars have given car thieves a new way to break into our vehicles without keys. All they have to do is grab our security code from the airwaves, use their laptop to create a key, send that code back over the air to unlock your vehicle remotely. Codes are easy to steal - anytime you use your remote to lock or unlock your car, it sends the code, which can be grabbed by anyone who has a suitable receiver. It only takes a thief seconds to do this.

They can then gain entry to your vehicle and steal whatever is in it - your laptop, wallet, purse or whatever you leave inside while you are at a rest stop, or grocery store. Beware. Don't use your remote to lock or unlock your car in a public parking lot. Use the inside lock when you exit the car, it does not send the code over the airwaves.

Isn't technology wonderful?

Rolando
Posted 12/01/2009 10:41PM #1
Same technology used to encrypt credit card data on the internet is deployed on remote car locks to encrypt your (un)lock codes starting circa 2001 or so. If you have a recent car, you're safe.
Posted 12/02/2009 04:53AM #2
First thing we did with our Camry was leave the key fob at home... grin My wife and I are thinking it it in a junk drawer somewhere...My Tacoma is a stripper model that does not contain any anti theft other than the which I installed. The Taco has a standard transmission, so I re-wired the clutch saftey switch to a hidden button. The truck won't start unless you can find that button 8)

It is what it is...
Posted 12/04/2009 12:48PM #3
Roland Christen said:

Those remote locks on our cars have given car thieves a new way to break into our vehicles without keys. All they have to do is grab our security code from the airwaves, use their laptop to create a key, send that code back over the air to unlock your vehicle remotely. Codes are easy to steal - anytime you use your remote to lock or unlock your car, it sends the code, which can be grabbed by anyone who has a suitable receiver. It only takes a thief seconds to do this.

They can then gain entry to your vehicle and steal whatever is in it - your laptop, wallet, purse or whatever you leave inside while you are at a rest stop, or grocery store. Beware. Don't use your remote to lock or unlock your car in a public parking lot. Use the inside lock when you exit the car, it does not send the code over the airwaves.

Isn't technology wonderful?

Rolando

Sometimes yes, sometimes know. Evidence this is indeed happening?

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 12/06/2009 01:03AM #4
david goldman said:

my car doesn't have a remote lock,i get in and out the old fashion way. i never leave anything of value in the car, and lastly, my car is too old to want for parts.
I agree..thats me too! common sense, john