Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

End of the World

Started by tl123tsk, 04/14/2009 04:54PM
Posted 04/14/2009 04:54PM Opening Post
If the IIHS has its way we may as well kill ourselves. Life is not worth living anymore. What is the point of existence if we are all condemned to driving pathetic 4-bangers doing 30mph? cwy

"The institute suggested steps that would further both fuel economy and safety rather than put them in conflict: cutting the speed limit and reducing horsepower. (Average horsepower is 70 percent higher in new cars now than it was in the mid-1980s, the institute said.)"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/14/automobiles/14crash.html?hpw
Posted 04/14/2009 06:09PM #1
The answer is direct drive to all 4 wheels using traction motors. 75 hp per wheel is enough to pin you back in your seat like no gasoline engine ever could do. Torque on a traction motor can be 2 to 3 times full rated torque at zero speed. The equivalent of 1200hp at launch grin

A small gas or bio-diesel engine is used to top off the electric storage device and to provide cruising energy. The storage device will be a super capacitor using nanotube technology to store and deliver instantly huge amounts of power with no chemical reactions necessary. No need to warm up a battery on freezing days, and no chemical deterioration over multiple charge/discharge cycles.

To see what's possible even now with crude 2009 technology: http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/reviews.php

The race has just begun. We are in the infancy of transportation, same as when steam power displaced sail power in the 1800's wink

Rolando
Posted 04/15/2009 04:55AM #2
My wife passed a Lamborghini Diablo this weekend in our Cavalier this weekend. We tried to slow down for him, but he never got over 25 miles per hour. We had a similar problem with a Ferrari in front of us a few months ago. He was driving at least 10 or 15 miles per hour under the limit. So, basically, I don't think I have ever seen a supercar actually make it up to the speed limit.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]