My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Goin' all electric

Started by RolandC, 12/04/2012 12:34PM
Posted 12/04/2012 12:34PM Opening Post
Hi All,

Just an update on my newest vehicle, a 2013 Chevy Volt. Initial impressions - great car, drives nice, has a premium feel to it.

After about 400 miles, the combined city/highway mileage is 87mpg. That includes about 250 miles highway driving long distance using only the gas engine and 150 miles of local commuting/running about using only battery power.

On normal 60 degree days the battery allows approximately 42 miles of all-electric drive. When the outside tempreature drops to freezing, this drops the electric range to about 30 miles due to the need for heating the passenger compartment. Alternatively you can switch on the gasoline motor for heat and provide some propulsion power to the battery.

Total range with a full tank of gas and full charge in the battery is close to 400 miles, depending how you drive. Although it is not a high performance vehicle, it still accelerates smartly in a constant torque rush and gets up to 75 - 80 on the freeway pretty quickly. It also has enough power for safe passing on 2 lane roads. I'm sure as time goes by more advanced batteries will be developed which will increase performance and range. But for now, this car is a game changer and is every bit as nice as I would want a car to be. By comparison, I drove a Nissan Versa on my vacation in Hawaii, and it is a complete dog in more ways than one. It also delivered around 40mpg overall driving it almost 800 miles on the Big Island, but it is a totally annoying vehicle.

Total cost of the Volt, fully loaded be just over $25k, so comparable to the cost of a typical midsize car (Camry, Fusion etc.)

Rolando
Posted 12/04/2012 01:03PM #1
Roland Christen said:

Hi All,

Just an update on my newest vehicle, a 2013 Chevy Volt. Initial impressions - great car, drives nice, has a premium feel to it.

After about 400 miles, the combined city/highway mileage is 87mpg. That includes about 250 miles highway driving long distance using only the gas engine and 150 miles of local commuting/running about using only battery power.

On normal 60 degree days the battery allows approximately 42 miles of all-electric drive. When the outside tempreature drops to freezing, this drops the electric range to about 30 miles due to the need for heating the passenger compartment. Alternatively you can switch on the gasoline motor for heat and provide some propulsion power to the battery.

Total range with a full tank of gas and full charge in the battery is close to 400 miles, depending how you drive. Although it is not a high performance vehicle, it still accelerates smartly in a constant torque rush and gets up to 75 - 80 on the freeway pretty quickly. It also has enough power for safe passing on 2 lane roads. I'm sure as time goes by more advanced batteries will be developed which will increase performance and range. But for now, this car is a game changer and is every bit as nice as I would want a car to be. By comparison, I drove a Nissan Versa on my vacation in Hawaii, and it is a complete dog in more ways than one. It also delivered around 40mpg overall driving it almost 800 miles on the Big Island, but it is a totally annoying vehicle.

Total cost of the Volt, fully loaded be just over $25k, so comparable to the cost of a typical midsize car (Camry, Fusion etc.)

Rolando

What's interesting your experience is that the pure conversion of gas to electricity to power yields an effective MPG of about 27 (250/9.3).
The specs GM puts out imply an effective MPG closer to 40 while driven using gas only. That seems awfully efficient to me. It must be one heck of an efficient generator.
Posted 12/05/2012 06:53AM #2

$25K? Brand new? Is this after rebates?

Eric