Mustango takes on Audi R8

Started by RolandC, 01/08/2012 12:05AM
Posted 01/08/2012 12:05AM Opening Post
.... and leaves him wanting. The R8 Audi supercar with 420hp high revving V8 hung on from 65 to --- wink but Roush Mustango stayed 1 car length ahead.

I have to say, the Audi engine revving to 8500 RPM was sweet music, reminded me of a Ferrari or Lambo.
Posted 01/08/2012 01:54PM #1
Roland Christen said:

.... and leaves him wanting. The R8 Audi supercar with 420hp high revving V8 hung on from 65 to --- wink but Roush Mustango stayed 1 car length ahead.

I have to say, the Audi engine revving to 8500 RPM was sweet music, reminded me of a Ferrari or Lambo.

HMMM... the Mid-Life Crisis Grand Prix? wink
Wonder what the results would have been if the R8 had the same amount spent on upgrades as the Roush.
No offense, I'd take either car in a Texas heartbeat.
Posted 01/08/2012 05:35PM #2
Ok, fess up, how many times have you heard the phrase:

"Sir, do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 01/10/2012 04:56PM #3
From a rolling start your Roush should beat the R8 by some margin. Their quattro (note the lower case) system would be a liability at speed, robbing power through drag loss while the RWD of your Mustango delivers all the power-to-weight benefit.

From a stop, I'd expect the R8 to get a decent head start through power delivery. It should also do better in a road course with the AWD and better handling, but the new Mustangs are excellent track machines. I tried the new Boss 302 on a track and what a performance bargain it is... on paper. (Good luck finding one without a 5-figure dealer markup for that).

When I still had my M3 sedan I ran with some 'Vettes and blown Mustangs (in closed course, if you so believe). I was able to hang on to a similar Roush as yours, only because he had to shift while mine had a dual-clutch tranny. In 1/4 mile runs I'd have no chance. On a track, the Bimmer did edge out the older Mustang through better chassis balance. The Boss 302 wouldn't capitulate so easily, I reckon. Good times.