IC410

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Running on wind

Started by RolandC, 06/13/2014 11:47AM
Posted 06/13/2014 11:47AM Opening Post
Our Volt is 2.5 years old now. It has about 17,000 miles on it. Our typical commute is 8.4 miles one way, (16.8 each day). If driven conservatively on a day of 70 degF, it takes 1.5 kwhrs to go 8.4 miles, which gives the car almost 60 mile range. In the winter this goes up, and below freezing it can take 2.2 kwhrs for the same trip with the heater on.

We will almost always take this car for daily driving, so as to avoid the high cost of gasoline. Our cost for electricity is .07 per KWhr (.04 at work), which includes taxes and other fees, so it's quite economical in this area. Cost will be going up next year, probably about 25%, which is still quite cheap. We have on-demand metering, so we get the lowest rate available, and the power company can turn off our air conditioner for up to 1/2 hour whenever it gets really hot and loads increase on their power lines.

According to our electric bill, a large portion of the electricity delivered comes from wind turbines located just south of here. Part of the power also comes from the local Com-Ed Nuke (none from coal). Here in our area we have the option to buy 100% of our power from wind if we if we so choose.

So here is a comparison of costs of several cars for this daily commute of 16.8 miles:

My Ford Mustang (requires premium) @ 21mpg = $3.28

Our Hyundai Azera (full size car) @ 27mpg = $2.24 (Gas = $3.60 per g.)

Friend's Fusion Hybrid @ 42 mpg = $1.44

Another friend's Prius @ 52mpg = $1.16

Volt @ 3kwhrs = $0.21 summer, $0.31 winter

Just one wind turbine needs to run only 11 seconds to provide the power to propel the Volt the 16.8 miles on my daily commute.

Rolando

Attached Image:

RolandC's attachment for post 58476
Posted 06/13/2014 05:02PM | Edited 06/14/2014 08:51PM #1
Interesting. Hope it is a company car because on a per mile basis, your cost per mile including depreciation, insurance, repair, servicing is into the $1.00/mile or more area.
That is on a 5,000 miles per year use.
Consumer Reports likes your vehicle. For me, I prefer the option of going as far as i want without the concern of limited miles. So, any vehicle of this type would never be considered.
No matter. You are happy !
As to wind power, has anybody penciled out the payback time on one of those towering wind generators or are we tax payers footing the bill for those also?
Clear skies,
Pete
Posted 06/16/2014 03:54PM | Edited 06/26/2014 06:47AM #2
Why not put a wind turbine on top of the Volt?. Then you can run it for free!.