Moon Snapshot with Starmaster 11 "Shorty"

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

RX 8

Started by deans, 02/25/2004 03:30PM
Posted 02/25/2004 03:30PM Opening Post
My 'mid life crisis' ride. Not like the mighty american muscle cars but pretty quick on twisty country roads. Its sitting in front of my observatory.

Attached Image:

deans's attachment for post 13500
Posted 02/28/2004 01:00PM #1
Dean…

I had a 1973 RX-2 (4-speed, 4-door) from 1976-1987. My dad bought it new and I got it when he bought a pickup.

Gawd I loved that rotary engine. In many ways it was the most fun car I ever owned…a pocket rocket. Even though both subsequent vehicles (3.8L Buick Century and 4.0L Jeep Cherokee 4x4) were/are actually quicker, the Mazda had a quicker feel. And it was so smooth and quiet. It would accelerate up the Grapevine in 4th gear (for those who don't know, the Grapevine is where Interstate 5 climbs out of the San Joaquin Valley over the Tehachapi Mtns heading south toward Los Angeles…maximum grade is a bit over 6%, which is not overly steep for a mountain road, but is for an interstate). The car was well-built and easy to work on, except for having two distributors. Plus the back seat and trunk were very roomy for such a small car.

I used to street race (shhh…don't tell my teenage kids), and, by picking the competition carefully, I did quite well. I could best a six-cyl mid-60s Mustang, Porsche 914 (I think that's the right one, the little boxy mid-engine thing), etc. At the time, I could outrun every other Japanese car but a Datsun 240Z. The most fun, though, was the time I pulled up to a stop light on a major street in front of the college and found myself alongside a 351 Cleveland Mustang and a 350 Grand Prix revving their engines at each other. When the light turned green, I entered the fray. When I hit 60 mph, the Mustang was half a car length ahead of the Grand Prix, which was half a car length ahead of me. Just then, a long-haired, sgraggly looking guy in the passenger seat of Grand Prix leaned out the window, and yelled in a drunken sort of drawl "Daaammmm, that Jap car's fast!"

Fred