lineup on 5-24-2020

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

My "New" Spotting Scope

Started by Lee_S, 08/20/2006 10:13AM
Posted 08/20/2006 10:13AM Opening Post
Here is the "new" spotting scope that I built this weekend.

It has a circa 1951 Bulova M71D Objective Cell (30mm / 350 mm focal length), a .965-to-1.25 hybrid diagonal, and I use a 25mm or 10mm Explorer II for 14x and 35x.
The objective is on a slide that I can push in and out for focusing.

Because I built it myself, it features a ...uh...level of workmanship and quality that . . . uh . . . you just don't see any more. wink

It seems to work pretty well, but it is some kind of UGLY! shocked

Attached Image:

Lee_S's attachment for post 33041

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 08/20/2006 05:30PM #1
Hey Lee, where were you when we had that "ugliest scope ever" thread? You've got a coupla serious contenders there!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. grin

--George

George Golitzin
Posted 08/20/2006 06:04PM #2
Lee, thanks for a good laugh! 8)
Some of the replies & posts on this thread are truly hilarious! grin

I particularly enjoyed the name of your Chilean Observatory... Las Scopas del Redneckos... too funny! wink

Clear skies, and keep up with those fine designs! wink

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 08/21/2006 08:20PM #3
Thanks for the encouragement! Watch this space cuz' I've got some erecting prism assemblies on the way so my Mark 2 designs will allow for straight through viewing... wink

[/SIZE]
Posted 09/11/2006 06:21PM | Edited 09/11/2006 06:33PM #4
For all I know the little 27mm objective on this scope was probably made to fight World War II or to allow brave GIs to stare across the demilitarized zone in Korea. It's probably 50 years old and could have had a proud and illustrious history. It may have sat in a government warehouse waiting to be called for a higher purpose. It could have been a contenda! But, it ended up as Surplus and I bought it. So, now it is being used to customize this here $8.00 Cstar 30-power telescope. shocked

Attached Image:

Lee_S's attachment for post 107115

[/SIZE]
Posted 07/01/2007 10:31AM | Edited 07/01/2007 10:42AM #5
I am glad to see pictures of your spotting scope. I bought the same objective and a prism assembly as well. You jest in describing your workmanship, but your design is very practical. The quality of the optics is also quite good. It is just too easy to go out and buy a telescope or spotting scope but then, you really learn something when you have to build it yourself. I had a plan to fold the mini refractor, but I see that the focal length is a bit short for trying that. I may try and find a longer focal length lens later. I hope you don't mind if I copy your design a little. How did you make your slide assembly for the objective?

Attached Image:

justlooking's attachment for post 115083