Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Armed while observing at dark sites

Started by reconair, 06/05/2010 11:42AM
Posted 06/05/2010 11:42AM Opening Post
Anyone here take telescope protection while observing at dark sites.

I live in Northern VA and have to go to remote dark sites to observe/image. I usually always have a pistol with me since I am out in the dark alone with thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I have a concealed carry permit and usually wear the pistol concealed. Also in some areas I go there are bears

The exception to that is if I am at a star party with lots of kids. I lock the pistol in the truck just to be safe and to keep the little ones from freaking if they spot it accidently.

Jus wonderin.

Scott Busby
A.K.A. Reconair

Carpe Noctum

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
- Ptolemy,c.150 AD
Posted 06/05/2010 12:23PM | Edited 06/05/2010 12:24PM #1
I'm not sayin', but here's my new observing platform. wink Note the Dobsonian in back. grin (Seriously, a concealed carry permit seems like a good idea if you are going to stand around in the dark with thousands of dollars in gear.)

Attached Image:

Lee_S's attachment for post 137255

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 06/05/2010 12:32PM #2
Louis Busby said:

I live in Northern VA and have to go to remote dark sites to observe/image. I usually always have a pistol with me since I am out in the dark alone with thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I have a concealed carry permit and usually wear the pistol concealed. Also in some areas I go there are bears

The exception to that is if I am at a star party with lots of kids. I lock the pistol in the truck just to be safe and to keep the little ones from freaking if they spot it accidently.

Jus wonderin.

I used to carry a piece with me into the boonies...even just my little bitty (but sweet) Walther PPK. I stopped doing that, though. I finally decided that if I was so nervous about a site--for whatever reason--that I needed to be armed, I would NOT get any productive observing done. If, at every snapped twig, I pulled away from the eyepiece and prepared for COMBAT. LOL.

My solution? I don't observe alone and I always take a cellphone. You might say you want to be armed even in that case, and that's OK. I find that armed or not, when I'm with my friends I _feel_ safe and get lots of work done.

That's the other part of the equation. Choose as secure a site as possible--don't set up at the side of the road or in rest stops. I never had a problem out in the dark, and I doubt I ever will. If anybody happened along, it was usually an LEO. The thing, really, is not being safe, but FEELING safe so I can observe comfortably, and I find buddies and a cellphone do that rather than a piece.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 06/06/2010 05:26PM #3
Up here in Canada I don't think we a allowed to carry a hand gun. When I go to a remote observing spot I usually carry a big can of bear spray and a machete. The spray will reach up to 18' and will disturbe a grizzly bear and prevent humans from functioning for a while. The machete could take an arm or head off so I would chose the spray first. I guess it wouldn't help much if the wind was blowing towads me. 8O

Mike

Posted 06/07/2010 03:51AM | Edited 06/07/2010 03:57AM #4
Urban observing is just a scary as dark sites. In Atlanta, I'd put my scopes up on our complex tennis court in the middle of the night. One night, when I was totally focused on my eyepiece, a dude dressed as a vampire walked by outside the fence and said, "Mooo ha ha ha ha!" shocked I about jumped out of my skin, but played it cool.

Now, I've got to carry a stake, mallet, silver bullets, and a garlic necklace while I observe. 8O :S

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="Small"]Reason #745 Not To Carry In The Big City: You will encounter at least two jack-arses per day who you'd like to shoot.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[/SIZE]
Posted 06/08/2010 01:49AM #5
For personal protection against serious predatory threat it makes some sense.

Just to protect gear....never.
A judge has no reason to care about astro gear.

Posted 06/08/2010 05:49AM #6
Louis Busby said:

The exception to that is if I am at a star party with lots of kids. I lock the pistol in the truck just to be safe and to keep the little ones from freaking if they spot it accidentally.

Jus wonderin.

I have read threw this thread lmao. But on the other hand I always carry. If the city because we have predators. In the field because we have Mt lion, black bears, and now they have reported a pack of wolves have moved in from Id. In the city it's the 9mm or 45. In the field it's the 44mag or the 45-70. I always say it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. JM2C

Magic Man
Posted 06/10/2010 12:47AM #7
OK, OK, I'll fess up. The best gun control is self-control. Here is the real reason I don't pack heat on a regular basis:

I just made a nice pitcher of tea with our iced tea machine. As hot as it's been, it would have been wonderfully refreshing. It had lots of ice, 5 spoons of sugar, and nice cold water. If I would have remembered to put tea bags in the machine shocked , it would have been great.

Long, long, ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to sail. I launched my boat once without any plugs. I also tied my mainsheet to the boom on highly windy day using my jiffy reef kit. (That was really interesting. Thank god I had a knife!) I've also ran aground a couple of times.

So, when I do carry a gun, I want to be totally engaged, involved, and focused on the gun rather than on other activities. I also won't be getting a pilots license any time soon. grin

[/SIZE]
Posted 07/05/2010 03:14PM #8
Like all of the times that I carry, I'm concerned/conscious about the journey as much as the destination. In this case, I'm not so concerned about the dark sites, but about walking with equipments to/from my car (I don't have a driveway/garage), stopping along the way, etc. I carry wherever it's legal, out of habit, so where I plan to be is not a determining factor. Pocketing an LCP is the minimum for me.

Tri