Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

PLR-16

Started by errnum, 03/25/2010 05:05PM
Posted 03/25/2010 05:05PM Opening Post
Weather got sunny and warm last weekend and got a chance for another range trip with the PLR-16. Only got to try it once last fall before cold weather set in.

PLR-16 gives atavistic enjoyment, loud with a huge fireball. Minimal recoil.

On last fall's first trip, the PLR-16 fed good with the included Kel-Tec 10 round mag, but very poorly with a generic 30 rd mag the dealer threw in fer free.

On the first trip had tried about 150 rds and was beginning to wonder if it would be more than "close enough for rock'n'roll" accurate. Of course accuracy lies mostly in shooting skill. There is only so much an old klutz can expect from any firearm.

Had read that the Magpul PMAGs work well with the PLR-16. Got some PMAGs to try out (as shown in the pic). The PMAGs seem nice and not real expensive. The PMAGs come with a snap-on cap that keeps the lips of a loaded mag from spreading in storage, and keeps bullets from falling out and keeps dirt from getting in.

On last weekend's test, the PMAGs fed very well. Out of about 150 rounds, there were no failures to extract and only a couple of failures to feed. Much better than the first test and hopefully it will improve as the gun and mags break in.

On the first test, was trying a grip with the left hand wrapped around the mag well. The pistol is so long that it is impossible to lock the right-arm elbow with the left hand gripping the mag well. The stance seemed to account for mediocre accuracy the first time out.

The PLR-16 is rather front-heavy for a comfortable conventional two-handed pistol grip. However, that turns out much better. The shoulder strap can be adjusted so that the strap is pulled tight when both elbows are locked in a conventional two-handed pyramid pistol grip. The combination of strap tension and two-handed grip holds the front-heavy pistol very steady.

Firing at 50 foot target distance, was getting accuracy comparable to the old Mark II .22 slabside target pistol. That is better than what I can get from other 'larger caliber' pistols. Of course the PLR-16 isn't any bigger caliber than the .22 Mark II. Just louder and a faster bullet.

At 50 foot distance, could pretty reliably put 30 rounds into a circle about the diameter of an astromart coffee mug. Likely about as good as it will get, though as the gun breaks in and with a little practice perhaps it could marginally improve. Tis doubtful I'll ever be able to report "one big ragged hole" accuracy results.
Posted 03/25/2010 06:01PM #1
James,

Does the PLR-16 have a bolt hold open feature? And do you have any plans to add a muzzle break? Looks fun to shoot.

Jerry
Posted 04/08/2010 11:58AM #2
Hey James,

That looks like an XPS-2 on there. That sight costs almost as much of the gun grin I'm now up to 5 AIMShot HG-M2 sights for my range toys because they are solid, functional, and 1/4th the cost of the cheapest Eotech. Their customer service is excellent as well.

Great job on figuring the sling out. That's the best way to shoot these pistols besides putting on a laser sight and shoot from the hip (that's A LOT of fun by the way).

Try 20-rd Thermold mags. I had 1 20-rd Magpul mag that fail to feed the last round every single time, but never had any mag problem with any of my AR. However, I did notice that Thermold mags feel the smoothest (not sure how to explain it).

Tri