Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Ruger 10/22 vs Recurve Bow

Started by SocalDarkSkies, 12/30/2010 10:23PM
Posted 12/30/2010 10:23PM Opening Post
I introduced my daughter to rimfire shooting in July. At that time she was 11 years old and just barely fit our Ruger 10/22 rifle (my girl is very petite). She's been a crack shot using open sites at the Disneyland Frontier Land shooting gallery for years but joining me at the real range had been on her wish list for some time. Her first shot, target placed at 50 yards, resulted with a hole at 2 o'clock touching the 1/2" center dot (I've included an image of the target which shows her 1st 20 rounds -- plus one from my .308). It blew me away that a beginner could have such good results and attributed it to Ruger's quality product.

Fast forwarding to this week we found ourselves trying out her new recurve bow which Santa left under the tree. Like rimfire shooting, archery has also been an interest of hers and something she wished to try. As with her first shot with the 10/22 her first arrow touched the bulls-eye at the 2 o'clock position (to me uncanny). She's getting pretty darn good at 30' although she still needs work lowering her anchor point a little bit.

Yeah, I admit I'm a proud father and guilty today of using this forum as a brag board but thought I would risk the wrath from all the folks who feel I've placed dangerous weapons in the hands of a babe to find out how many other dads enjoy shooting with their children. When I chat with the old timers at the range I hear a familiar lament... the lack of interest and participation from young people is endangering the sport/hobby.

Jerry

Attached Image:

SocalDarkSkies's attachment for post 52517
Posted 12/31/2010 04:29AM #1
Jerry that's pretty cool! I tried my luck with archery about 10 years ago and I couldn't even get the arrows to get to the target. Fortunately, I was alone at an Izaak Walton League range and nobody saw me. wink It looks like your girl is off to a great start!

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 01/02/2011 10:35AM #2
Jerry Mason said:
...Yeah, I admit I'm a proud father and guilty today of using this forum as a brag board but thought I would risk the wrath from all the folks who feel I've placed dangerous weapons in the hands of a babe to find out how many other dads enjoy shooting with their children...

Jerry,

I'm glad to see that you are both getting a lot out of your father/daughter relationship. It used to be that the moms had full control of the raising of daughters and they ended up with little or no exposure to many worldly experiences, historically reserved for guys. Something as simple as learning to shoot a .22 rifle or recurve bow archery develops hand-eye-brain coordination, a better understanding of the physics involved, a sense responsibility, a respect for safety, and a good teacher/student relationship between the two of you. All of this builds a can-do attitude which will accompany your daughter for the rest of her life. I've been amazed at the skills that girls can acquire and master, when given the chance, encouragement and some thoughtful guidance.

Although I've not yet been able to interest my daughter (an only child) in shooting, she's gone camping/hiking/fishing with my wife and I ever since she could walk. In these outdoor skills, she regularly outperformed guys several years older. By age 16, she could drive a car, a motorcycle, a truck, a boat and an airplane (Cessna 172). Her interest in astronomy and science in general has given her a much better understanding of, and feel for, the world around her. She has such an amazing sense of direction (almost unheard of in females), I often refer to her as the "human GPS".

As she's grown up, I've had no idea which direction she might take, but she's currently a senior in college, working on her BS in Fishery Resources and contemplating graduate school. Life is like a box of chocolates...

Anyway, I urge you to continue encouraging your daughter in any constructive endeavors in which she shows an interest. She just might find the one that gives her a direction and defines her future.

Randy Holst
(another proud father)
Posted 02/08/2011 04:45AM #3
Okay there is no reason to have to choose between an arrow and a 10/22. The fine folks at LaRue have a nice little cross over conversion for you. Check out the image.......or here is the link (ain't this a hoot?):

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=509

Attached Image:

Mike Sandy's attachment for post 139800

Mike

http://www.DarkSights.com
Posted 02/10/2011 04:56PM #4
I have five kids of ages 14, 12, 9, 6, and 3. I shoot with all of them except the 3 year old (I feel that 5 years old is the minimum age to start IMO). My wife shoots as well. All the shooting age kids have their own guns. It's a great way to bond and a lot of fun as well.