Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What guns are essential?

Started by Lee_S, 02/25/2010 11:30PM
Posted 02/25/2010 11:30PM Opening Post
I've been thinking about the guns that every collector almost has to have. I came up with my basic battery here -

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2720243/the_beginners_battery_choosing_guns.html?cat=7

I've got everything but a shotgun and I'm not super keen on getting one of those anyway. I'm thinking serious shotgunning would lead me to the chiropractor on a regular basis.

What guns do you think every collector must have?

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 02/26/2010 09:58AM #1
Lee Spain said:
I've got everything but a shotgun and I'm not super keen on getting one of those anyway. I'm thinking serious shotgunning would lead me to the chiropractor on a regular basis.

You should try trap shooting (at a real trap range) with target loads and a decent recoil pad. It's not painful and it's so much fun it's addicting.

That depends on your definition of a "collector". For me, guns are for shooting and I have no use for a wall decoration. I do, however, enjoy visiting the Elmer Keith museum at the Cabela's store in Boise, where I can see up close every gun ever owned by the grand old man.

http://www.cabelas.com/retail-2/--cabelas--en--content--community--aboutus--retail--retail_stores--boise--storeareaboise.html.shtml
Click on: Elmer Keith Museum - Take a Virtual Tour
Posted 02/26/2010 02:20PM | Edited 02/27/2010 05:31AM #2
Lee Spain said:

I've been thinking about the guns that every collector almost has to have. I came up with my basic battery here -

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2720243/the_beginners_battery_choosing_guns.html?cat=7

Hi Lee

Your mention of .22 rifle and pistol seems good. Lots of fun. Relatively inexpensive. Actually useful for more than recreation, depending on the need.

Center fire rifle and handgun, ditto.

I'm not a collector, but it seems more interesting to go to the range with a few guns. Each having its own characteristics to learn.

Analogy-- Though there are numerous exceptions to the rule-- People who become really excellent pianists typically do not devote a great deal of practice tootling bassoon, honking saxophone, pounding drums or framming geetar. Specialization often reigns at the top-- Typically the best alto sax players don't even spend inordinate time honking on tenor, baritone, or soprano sax (though the excellent alto players typically play the other horns decent enough if the situation demands).

Perhaps if one desired to become an excellent marksman, rather than goofing off at the range saturday afternoon-- In that case perhaps one gun would be better than many? I just enjoy occasional plinking. So variety is good.

Posted 03/04/2010 11:41PM #3
I thought the answer to the question posed by the title was easy....the one closest to you when you needed it. On the othe hand - that wasn't the point of this thread.

While I don't believe in collecting without using, if we are talking about "must own guns" (I think this topic has been covered - but maybe I'm thinking of another forum) here would be my list:

1911 in 45ACP
S&W .357 Mag wheel gun
M1 Garand in 30-06 (the gun that won WWII)
Remmington 870
Ruger 10/22
Remmington 700
Any of the AR-15 style evil weapons

That is my list - I'm sticking with it.......

Mike

http://www.DarkSights.com
Posted 03/05/2010 01:30PM | Edited 03/05/2010 01:30PM #4
I think the article you reference is quite correct, a basic battery would be:
-Center Fire Rifle
-Shotgun
-Medium to High Power Pistol
-22 Rifle and Pistol

I think "optionals" would be an assault type firearm and a black powder firearm as well (either pistol or rifle, simply for days when you want to relive what it was like in the past).

Now the choices as to exact caliber of the center fire rifle and more powerful pistol, and shotgun would be different for each person, depending on the primary application.
Posted 03/05/2010 05:10PM #5
1. A concealed/open carried handgun: Glock 26 is my choice
2. A deep concealed handgun for when regularly concealed time that won't work: Ruger LCP is my choice.
3. A primary home defense handgun: Glock 19 is my choice
4. A .22LR pistol: as you said, for cheap plinking and trigger time. My choice is a Sig Sauer Mosquito
5. An AR15 or AK47: to piss off the anti crowd grin
6. A hunting rifle, if you hunt, I don't hunt, but do have a Rem 700 SPS
7. A shotgun: for times when nothing else will work on a padlock grin

----
Must have types:
1. 1911
2. Revolver
3. DAO pistol
4. bolt action rifle
5. piston rifle
6. direct impingement rifle

Tri
Posted 03/06/2010 05:40PM | Edited 03/11/2010 09:19PM #6

Well heck, I have done a lot of shooting over the years, though lately it has been mostly sporting clays and upland bird hunting. My list of must owns:

Pistols:

A good 22 cal : Ruger Mk II with 5" bull barrel is a great choice;

A good 9mm: currently a Glock 19. The Glock is good around home and makes a nice trail gun for back country carry

A 1911 type 45ACP : currently a Colt series 70 with a bit of work to make it reliable and King-Tappan sights

S&W .357 Mag wheel gun: S&W Mdl 19 comes to mind but no longer easy to locate

Rifles:

A semi-auto in 223, 308 or 30-06: Garand is my current favorite

Hunting: a pre-64 Mdl 70 Winchester in 270 works for me with Zeiss 4-14x 40mm

Stopping rifle: admittedly a little specialized and not "must have" for most, but after spending a lot of time in coastal Alaska and having weathered one brown bear charge and another challenging us for territory, a 375 H&H, 416 Rigby or 458 Win Mag would be comforting. I have all three.

Fun and plinking: a high quality 22- I have a few and like all of them

Shotguns:

Around home: a short-barreled 12 gauge, Ithaca Md 37 or Remington 870 (great when salmon fishing too)

Upland hunting : an Italian or Spanish SxS in 20 gauge, presently a Fausti DEA round body

Sporting Clays: was a Beretta DT-10 in 12 ga, now waiting for an Arrieta 12 gauge SxS as I like consistency between field and club shooting.

Semi auto: 12 ga Beretta with plastic stock and water repellant metal finish for bad weather days when beautiful wood prefers being in doors!

That should hold me for a life time of shooting activities!

Posted 03/09/2010 11:40PM #7
How about a high power air gun?

I think there is quite a compelling case for adding one to your list of recomendations, specially if you are a city dweller like me.

1- Much cheaper to shoot than a 22.

2- Can be used in most urban backyards without alarming neighbors too much.

3- Great for teaching kids basics of fire arms safety and maintenance. Look and feel and in many cases the power of a "real" gun.

4- You'll be suprised at the stuff you can take down with a well placed shot. Like hunting for galaxies with a 80mm refractor!!

5- Easy to care for.

I have a few toys, but I've had more fun with my 25 caliber RWS than with anything that came before it. Guns are like telescopes, it is not the caliber but how often you use it. I shoot "things" just about every week with my RWS but only once or twice a year with my AR or 7mm Mag.

Now for home defense IMHO nothing beats a nice compact .38 revolver complemented by a short barrel shotgun with pistol grips and loaded with a secret Miami recipe of an alternate buck shot and bird shot.

Now, where did that darn squirrel go?????????????

Angel